Saturday, September 1, 2018

Week 35 Review: Reflection

From Goodreads:
What if Mulan had to travel to the Underworld?
When Captain Shang is mortally wounded by Shan Yu in battle, Mulan must travel to the Underworld, Diyu, in order to save him from certain death. But King Yama, the ruler of Diyu, is not willing to give Shang up easily. With the help of Shang's great lion guardian ShiShi, Mulan must traverse Diyu to find Shang's spirit, face harrowing obstacles, and leave by sunrise--or become King Yama's prisoner forever. Moreover, Mulan is still disguised as the soldier called Ping, wrestling with the decision to reveal her true identity to her closest friend. Will Mulan be able to save Shang before it's too late? Will he ever be able to trust her again? Or will she lose him--and be lost in the Underworld--forever? 

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book! Mulan is a favourite of my Disney princesses movies, and this retelling was so fantastic, and such great depth, yeah, this book was totally different from the movie. I mean, Shang was the one that got hurt instead of Mulan, and he basically died! That's kinda huge!

Going into the Underworld, yeah, that's not even a thought in the movie, because Mulan, I guess, wasn't as severely injured. So it was so great to learn more about their families, and their after-life, I don't know how much was drawn from myths and legends and such, but yeah, it was so great to read!

There were some really great characters in this book, I loved ShiShi, Shang's guardian. He was so hilarious! And I loved the members of the Fa family that we met, they weren't good-goody two shoes, they had some some bad things in life that they had to make up. They were so great to read about!

When Shang found out about Mulan being a girl, yeah, they were in a very different situation, but he reacted pretty similarly, by walking away. But he came back, and yeah, that was a really great moment! And when she had to face that test, she found out who she was, and yeah, that made for a really great ending!

This book was so fantastic, and I enjoyed it so much!

Author: Elizabeth Lim
Series: Twisted Tales #4
Read: August 31st, 2018
Source: Library
Reason Why: Loving this series, and it's a 2018 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, Historical Fiction 2018 Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2018 Book!
Publisher: Disney Press
Published: March 27th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!