Saturday, September 29, 2018

Week 39 Review: A Face Like Glass

From Goodreads:
In the underground city of Caverna, the world's most skilled craftsmen toil in the darkness to create delicacies beyond compare—wines that remove memories, cheeses that make you hallucinate, and perfumes that convince you to trust the wearer, even as they slit your throat. On the surface, the people of Caverna seem ordinary, except for one thing: their faces are as blank as untouched snow. Expressions must be learned, and only the famous Facesmiths can teach a person to express (or fake) joy, despair, or fear—at a steep price. Into this dark and distrustful world comes Neverfell, a girl with no memory of her past and a face so terrifying to those around her that she must wear a mask at all times. Neverfell's expressions are as varied and dynamic as those of the most skilled Facesmiths, except hers are entirely genuine. And that makes her very dangerous indeed . . . 

My Review:
Oh, this book was weird and strange and a little hard to get into at first, but so great to read! I enjoyed it so much! Remembering the different parts of this book to write this review was a great experience, even if I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out what to say!

Neverfell was a bit naive at the beginning of this book, which made this book feel more of a middle grade than YA, maybe upper middle grade. She was very trusting, and she was lucky and she was smart and she got through some pretty tricky situations, and learned from them. I was really impressed with who she became in the end!

One weird/funny/strange bit of this book was the guy in charge, with his two halves of his brain, and how they thought differently, and why he'd set that up. It was a pretty bitter-hilarious bit when both halves started attacking each other!

There were a few mysteries going on in this book. Who Neverfall was, where she came from, who was the thief, and more. It was complicated, and there were a few things going on, and I really enjoyed how they all resolved!

This book was great and I enjoyed it immensely once I got going!

Author: Frances Hardinge
Read: September 27th, 2018
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: I enjoyed her other book, and it's a SAC 2018 Book!
Publisher: Amulet Book
Published: May 9th 2017
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!