Saturday, September 8, 2018

Week 36 Review: Carry On

From Goodreads:
Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.

Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you'd expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.

My Review:
Loved reading this book! It was a lot of fun, and a fun spoof of Harry Potter, and I loved the magic system and the characters! This book is a treasure, and I'm so glad that it exists, it was just a really wonderful read!

Simon was really awesome, I really enjoyed how he was like Harry, but he was also his own person. And while there were adventures from previous years mentioned that were similar, well, experiences shape us and make us different.

I loved his relationship with Baz, it was so antagonistic, which yeah, makes sense, since Simon is the Chosen One, a favourite of The Mage, and Baz's family is on the other side of the conflict. But that wasn't all there was, and they were just so adorable! I'm so glad that we're getting another book with them!

There's a few mysteries throughout this book, from where does Simon's power come from, what the Hundrum was and how to defeat them, and the ghost. Yeah, the ghost. I really enjoyed how it all came together, though that ending had a pretty high cost!

Loved this book so much, and I'm so glad that it's going to be a series!

Author: Rainbow Rowell
Series: Simon Snow #1
Read: September 3rd, 2018
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2018 Book!
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Published: October 6th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!