Saturday, September 22, 2018

Week 38 Review: Lucky Girl

From Goodreads:
Lucky Girl is an unflinching exploration of beauty, self-worth, and sexual assault, from the author of the acclaimed Tease.

Rosie is a beautiful girl—and it's always been enough. Boys crush on her, men stare at her, girls (begrudgingly) admire her. She's lucky and she knows it. But it's the start of a new school year and she begins to realize that she wants to be more. Namely, she's determined to be better to her best friend, Maddie, who's just back from a summer program abroad having totally blossomed into her own looks. Rosie isn't thrilled when Maddie connects with a football player who Rosie was hooking up with—but if it makes her friend happy, she's prepared to get over it. Plus, someone even more interesting has moved to town: Alex, who became semifamous after he stopped a classmate from carrying out a shooting rampage at his old high school. Rosie is drawn to Alex in a way she's never experienced before—and she is surprised to discover that, unlike every other guy, he seems to see more to her than her beauty.

Then at a party one night, in the midst of a devastating storm, something happens that tears apart Rosie's life and sets her on a journey of self-discovery that forces her to face uncomfortable truths about reputation, identity, and what it means to be a true friend. 

My Review:
I enjoyed reading this book. It was a great book about friendship and about sexual assault, and how one can affect the other. Rosie had to deal with her ex assaulting her-come to the terms that it was assault-and growing up and figuring out what matters in life. Because she always was the pretty one, and now, that doesn't mean much to her.

So I really enjoyed her first book, Tease, because the main character was flawed and had made mistakes, and was a book that made you think about the issues. This book did the same, which was really great, we'll need books about sexual assault until a) it stops happening, and b) everybody has healed from it. And even then, we'll need books like this to keep it from happening again. So this is a good step!

Rosie and Alex, I wanted to read about them, but I also wanted to cringe away, because they were so awkward, and I have a hard time with awkward, because I don't want to be that, myself, though I can't help myself sometimes. But they were really cute together, and I really enjoyed their relationship!

One big part of this book was her friendship-or temporary breaking of-with Maddie. Because Maddie was interested in Rosie's ex, and when she walked in on them and made the wrong assumptions, that messed things up. Though they were a little wrong earlier, what with Rosie being jealous of Maddie. I was so glad that they worked things out!

This book was a really great read, and I really enjoyed it!

Author: Amanda Maciel
Read: September 20th, 2018
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Enjoyed Tease, this sounded good, and it's a SAC 2018 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Published: April 25th 2017
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!