Saturday, September 1, 2018

Week 35 Review: Stygian

From Goodreads:
Born before man recorded time, I lived for thousands of years, believing myself to be something I'm not.

Someone I’m not.

Lied to and betrayed by gods, Daimons, and Dark-Hunters, I've struggled to find my way in a world where I've been cursed since the moment a vengeful goddess prematurely ripped me from my mother and planted me into the womb of an innocent woman who thought me her son.
Trained as a slayer and predator, I've learned to fit in and stay low. To become a tool for evil. Until I was sent to kill the one woman I couldn't. My hesitation cost her, her life.

Or so I thought. In an act of betrayal that makes all the others pale in comparison, I've learned that things are not what they seem in this world and that my Phoebe still lives.

Now I will have to travel into the very pits of Hades to try and save her, even as everyone around me attempts to steal what little soul I have left. There's only one person at my back and I'm not sure I can trust her either, for she was born of an enemy race. Yet sometimes the road to redemption is one that singes us to our very core. And if I fail to find the answers I need to save Phoebe, more than just my wife will die.

We will lose the world. Both human and Daimon. 

~Urian of the House of Aricles 

My Review:
Oh, wow, this book was a doozy! It was so fantastic to see Urian as a child, and meeting all of his siblings, and yeah, learning that he'd been married before, that was kidna huge! I mean, I knew he had a life before Phoebe, but she was the one that he talked about, because she was the most recent loss.

I mean, I kinda knew that Phoebe wouldn't be his happily ever after lady. After all, this book is in the Dragons Rising trilogy, instead of Dragonbane. Which meant that Urian's lady was going to be a Dragon. As in, the Falcyn's sister that we found out was still alive in Dragonsworn.

I'm a bit conflicted about this book. I mean, I absolutely loved it, don't get me wrong. But the whole threat of Helios, well, it doesn't get dealt with, and the whole thing that Urian's first wife was working for him, that just fizzled out. And there wasn't any real big battle at the end. It was just a little disappointing, that they would be through all this, and not having a big fight.

Plus, the synopsis is a bit misleading. Given that he knew her before he knew Phoebe, well, he was in love with her for centuries. And the synopsis makes it sound like they only just met. Bah. Maybe the synopsis was from a different version of the book, that it got changed in some way? Hopefully that's it!

That ending with the truce between the Daimons and the Dark-Hunters, yeah, that's a pretty big deal! And also a big deal, is that Apollo has Urian's blood, who has Egyptian, Atlantean, and Greek powers, and yeah, that's not good, given that he wanted it!

This book was just so freaking fantastic, and set up so much for future books! I can't wait!

Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Series: Dark-Hunter #29, Lords of Avalon #7, Dark-Hunter: Dragons Rising Trilogy #3, Were-Hunters #12
Read: August 30, 2018
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love her writing and this series so much! And it's a Historical Fiction 2018 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2018 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Tor Books
Published: August 28th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!