Saturday, August 10, 2019

Week 32 Review: House of Salt and Sorrow

From Goodreads:
Get swept away in Erin A. Craig's mesmerizing House of Salt and Sorrows. As one by one her beautiful sisters mysteriously die on their isolated island estate, Annaleigh must unravel the curse that haunts her family. Be careful who you dance with. . . .

Four of Annaleigh Thaumas's eleven sisters have returned to the Salt, the brackish water that surrounds their lonely island home, their lives cut short, each more tragically than the last. Whispers throughout the Highmoor estate say the girls have been cursed by the gods. 

When Annaleigh finds out that her sisters have been sneaking out to attend glittering midnight balls and dance until dawn, she's not sure whether to stop them--or join them. And when she begins to see a series of horrific, ghostly visions and more sisters die, she realizes she must solve the mystery--with the help of Cassius, a sea captain who knows much more about her than he should--and unravel the Thaumas curse before she descends into madness or . . . it claims her next. 

My Review:
Wow, this book was a fantastic read! I enjoyed the world and the characters so much! I love the fact that it's a retelling, maybe not of a classic, well known story, but the 12 Dancing Princesses, which was done by the Brothers Grimm, it is a fairy tell, making this a retelling!

I really enjoyed watching Annaleigh investigate the mystery of her sisters deaths. It's not a typical mystery, since it's an aim of Annaleigh, but there's also a lot going on. And when we get to the reveal, oh, I wasn't expecting that!

This world was pretty fascinating to be in. There's the different gods, and where this book is set, they worship the god of the Sea. There's others, and I enjoyed learning about it, though I would love to learn more, in a companion book or something, because I think Annaleigh deserves a happy and content ending, and I think she got that in this book!

One part of this book, near the end, is the question of how much of what we saw was real, and how much of it was added by the powers of the bad guy? And how much was taken away? It's a bit of a mystery to me, especially the mention of the fairy shoes. Even if they weren't going to balls, wouldn't they still be worn out from all the dancing they were doing?

Loved this book, it was a really fantastic read!

Author: Erin A. Craig
Read: August 7th, 2019
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a 2019 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, DAC Book, SAC 2019 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Published: August 6th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!