Saturday, January 17, 2015

Week 3 Review: Going Up in Flames

From Goodreads:
If her love life is going down in flames, she might as well spark a revolution.

Finding out on your sixteenth birthday you're a shape-shifting dragon is tough to swallow. Being hauled off to an elite boarding school is enough to choke on.

Since Bryn is the only crossbreed at the Institute for Excellence, all eyes are on her, but it's a particular black dragon, Zavien, who catches her attention.

Zavien is tired of the Council's rules. Segregated clans, being told who to love, and close-minded leaders make freedom of choice almost impossible. The new girl with the striped hair is a breath of fresh air, and with Bryn's help, they may be able to change the rules.

At the Institute, old grudges, new crushes, and death threats are all part of a normal day for Bryn. She'll need to learn to control her dragon powers if she wants to make it through her first year at school. But even focusing on staying alive is difficult when you're falling for someone you can't have.

My Review:
I enjoyed this book so much! It was fun, interesting, and unique, and those are my favourite combination of words, when in describing a book, because they're the things that I love most about books! So yeah, this was an excellent book!

Bryn was so amazing! I mean, she was sarcastic, and strong, and even though she's pretty much hated by this world that she was dumped in because she's a crossbreed, she doesn't back down, she keeps going, and she doesn't that keep her down! She was awesome!

I've only read one other dragon shape shifter series, the Firelight series by Sophie Jordan, so I really enjoyed all the details of this world, even how bad it was, saying that the different breeds of dragons shouldn't be together, that they couldn't have kids, when Bryn is proof they can-her mom is a blue dragon, and her dad is a red dragon-and yeah, that makes Bryn extra super special! So awesome!

I'm all up for a revolution in the dragon culture! I read in another review when I was getting research details, to think of the dragon government as a collection of Umbridges, and I think that's spot on, because they were just like that character, and they need to be taken down!

I enjoyed this book so much, it was just so good and entertaining, and I can't wait to read more!

Author: Chris Cannon
Series: Going Up in Flames #1
Read: January 15th, 2015
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded like a good book, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Book!
Publisher: Entangled Teen Ember
Published: June 30th 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to read and review my book. I'm so glad you liked it. I hope you enjoy Bridges Burned too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing it :) And I know I'm going to! Can't wait for Thursday to read it!

      Delete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!