Saturday, July 2, 2011

Week 26 Review: The Lovely Bones and Lucky


From Goodreads: 
The details of the crime are laid out in the first few pages: from her vantage point in heaven, Susie Salmon describes how she was confronted by the murderer one December afternoon on her way home from school. Lured into an underground hiding place, she was raped and killed. But what the reader knows, her family does not. Anxiously, we keep vigil with Susie, aching for her grieving family, desperate for the killer to be found and punished.

Sebold creates a heaven that's calm and comforting, a place whose residents can have whatever they enjoyed when they were alive -- and then some. But Susie isn't ready to release her hold on life just yet, and she intensely watches her family and friends as they struggle to cope with a reality in which she is no longer a part. To her great credit, Sebold has shaped one of the most loving and sympathetic fathers in contemporary literature.


From Goodreads:
In a memoir hailed for its searing candor and wit, Alice Sebold reveals how her life was utterly transformed when, as an eighteen-year-old college freshman, she was brutally raped and beaten in a park near campus. What propels this chronicle of her recovery is Sebold's indomitable spirit - as she struggles for understanding ("After telling the hard facts to anyone, from lover to friend, I have changed in their eyes"); as her dazed family and friends sometimes bungle their efforts to provide comfort and support; and as, ultimately, she triumphs, managing through grit and coincidence to help secure her attacker's arrest and conviction. In a narrative by turns disturbing, thrilling, and inspiring, Alice Sebold illuminates the experience of trauma victims even as she imparts wisdom profoundly hard-won: "You save yourself or you remain unsaved."

My Review:
I didn't cry once reading these books! I knew it! MWAHAHAHAHA! Just proves why I have to see a therapist every once and a while (apparently books are my way to hide from the world)

Anyway, these books were really good. I really enjoyed reading them, they had depth (though sometimes too much depth and detail and I just wanted to skip ahead) and they had really good plots.

But like I said, they were good, I liked them, I love murder stories! And I loved that she got her justice in the end.

All in all, good books, check them out! Might not be for the weak at heart or anything, but they were really good!

Author: Alice Sebold
Read: June 29th, 29th, 2011
Source: Own
Reason Why: One of them is a WTC Book!
Publisher: Random House, Hatchette Book Group
Published: September 1st 2006, September 16th 2002

The Lovely Bones:
4/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars









Lucky:
4/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!