Saturday, August 25, 2012

Week 34 Review: Hell or High Water

From Goodreads:
Nola Céspedes, an ambitious young reporter at the Times-Picayune, finally catches a break: an assignment to write her first full-length feature. While investigating her story, she also becomes fixated on the search for a missing tourist in the French Quarter. As Nola's work leads her into a violent criminal underworld, she's forced to face disturbing truths from her own past and is confronted with the question: In the aftermath of devastation, who is responsible for rebuilding what's been broken?

Vividly rendered in razor-sharp prose, this haunting thriller is a riveting journey of trust betrayed—and the courageous struggle to rebuild. Fast-paced, atmospheric, and with a knockout twist, Hell or High Water features an unforgettable heroine as fascinating and multilayered as New Orleans itself.

My Review:
Yeah, this was a really fantastic book! I enjoyed it so much, it was really well written, and well plotted, and yeah, was just so darned entertaining! I enjoyed it a lot, and since it's one of the first by Joy Castro, well, that's awesome, because things can only get better!

I loved the details. I've never been to New Orleans except for books, tv shows, and movies. So the details of New Orleans-post Katrina-were detailed enough that I could picture it pretty darned well, and I don't really do that!

The twists in this book were just absolutely the best! There's the mystery of what's going on, and the secrets of Nola's past, because yeah,she went through a pretty horrible thing. And then to come face to face with the guy for work? Yeah, that sucked!

On one hand, I'd really love a sequel, to spend more time with Nola, in this world. On the other, well, this book left her in a place of healing, and another book would put her life into conflict again. So yeah, conflicted there!

This was a really fantastic book, so entertaining and good, and yeah, I'd love to read more books by Joy Castro!

Author: Joy Castro
Read: August 24th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded like a good book!
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Published: July 17th 2012
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!