Saturday, December 13, 2014

Week 50 Review: The Undead Pool

From Goodreads:
Witch and day-walking demon Rachel Morgan has managed to save the demonic ever after from shrinking, but at a high cost. Now strange magic is attacking Cincinnati and the Hollows, causing spells to backfire or go horribly wrong, and the truce between the races, between Inderlander and human, is shattering. 

Rachel must stop the occurrences before the undead vampire masters who keep the rest of the undead under control are lost and it becomes all-out supernatural war. However, the only way to do so is through the ancient elven wild magic, which carries its own perils.

My first review of The Undead Pool
My Review:
Loved rereading this book so much! So much happens, Al doesn't approve of the finally there developing relationship between Rachel and Trent, we learn more about elves, and yeah, there's the pretty much the breakdown of the city, with the master vamps asleep!

What I want to say to Landon, is something along the lines of "Which species has a history of slavery, and which one ownership of slaves? Glass houses break faster when there's already cracks in the foundation!" Because yeah, you don't exactly have the best history!

And I didn't catch this the first time, I think, was that Nick is dead. I mean, when Newt and Rachel are having that conversation about her ley line, and Newt sends Al and Trent somewhere, and they come back, and Trent comments that Nick was gone, that the implication is that he's dead. I think, yeah, he deserves that quick, quite end to his involvement in the story, given all that he's done!

The whole thing with the mystics, that the demons don't believe in them, but that Newt does, because she went through something similar to Rachel? Yeah, there's that, and the thought that elf magic is more powerful then demon, not a nice thought, but oh, well! and the power the mystics gave Rachel, a bit, kinda, too bad she had to give it up!

Favourite lines: "How does the man make chequered shirts and pastels look good?" By being himself? "'When you going to put us all out of your misery and boink him?' 'Don't start with me.' 'All I'm saying is that you've been dating him for three months. Most guys you date are either dead or running scared by now." Which is true, but they don't think they're dating-yet! "Just trying to stay in the background. My god, woman. Your aura is glowing. Just admit you like him, bump uglies, and get on with your life!" With Trent! Whoot! "Dude, it looks like a giant spider scrotum. Damn. Rache! What did you do to it?" Not her, the bad stuff! "I think I broke the course's ward." Which is the beginning of the bad stuff!"That ball would've put you in the hospital and he's griping about me blowing it up?" Yeah, not too smart! "Professional. I was professional. He'd been nothing but professional back to me ever since that kiss, his mouth tasting of win and me breathless and wanting to know how long it took to get him undressed. I knew that he was going to marry Ellasbeth, that he had a standard to live up to that didn't include a local girl with a crazy mom and pop-star dad. But he kept touching me. And I kept wanting him to." But it's not going to work out that way, you're the one that's going to be with Trent, Rachel! "'Where are we going?' 'Bowling!' 'Fine, don't tell me.' I muttered." Uh, he did-you are going bowling! "Even the press could tell there was something between us, but it wasn't as if I could tell them it was the sharing of dangerous well-kept secrets, not the familiarity of knowing if he wore boxers or briefs." But you're going to! And not tell us! "'Damn. It's not any safer over here.' But he was wearing that weird smile I couldn't figure out when I leaned to look." Oh, Trent, you're weird! "Lock on the door? Had I really said lock on the door?" Yep! Subconscious or something taking over your mouth! "'You should have Trent over more often It's nice talking with someone without having to wade through all that estrogen.' 'I'll get you a puppy.'" Yeah, that'll work! Or you could have Trent over more! "His stubble was reddish blond. Cool." "'Hey, I owe you, cookie man. It would have taken me all summer to move those rocks.' 'I said I'd help you with that.' 'Like I said, all summer.'" Oh, that wasn't very nice! "Rache..I can't believe I'm saying this, but you're perfect for each other! You irritate people, and he smooths things out. You have good mojo, and he only thinks he does. You're broke, and he's rich. You've got those weird feet of yours, and he's got them cute ears." Yes, Trent and Rachel have to be together! "'Bancroft is at the top of the FIB building.' 'You mean, like the top, top? Why? Is he threatening to jump?' 'It's hard to tell. Landon says Bancroft tried to contact the divided mystics this morning and convince them to go back to the Goddess. I'm guessing something went wrong, seeing as he's blown out the entire top floor.'" I'd guess so, too! "And someone post a memo that Rachel Morgan can see me any time the thought enters her head, okay?" This is too cute, and nice of Edden to do! "Easy now.I can take thirty seconds to work. I don't want tomorrow's headlines to read 'Elven Holy Man Jumps from FIB Tower.'" Yeah, that wouldn't be good press! "Just what we need. A wave. At least we know it's headed right for us." Yeah, crazy guy might jump off because of it! "I never thought I'd be happy to see a mob of Weres." Pretty much nobody would think that, so you're not alone, Edden! "The mystics currently within me pondered my immediate trust. Some liked her, others didn't, and a tiny, almost unheard faction shouted it was dangerous to like everyone just because they wore no cap." I'm with the tiny fraction, it's dangerous, so be cautious with most new people! "They recognize you from the computer. Congratulations, you've been granted the title of trusted singular. I suggest you refrain from wearing hats." For a very good reason, Trent! "I like walking into a room and seeing your face light up when you see me. I like arguing with Quen over the wisdom of employing a demon to be my security. I want to wake up beside you, see your curls on my pillow. I want a chance at falling in love." And then there's this. "I want to love someone. I think I might already." Yeah, you just might! "'I'm not scared.' I said, terrified. 'I'm a realist.'" Loved how she lied, and lied pretty badly! "The memory of his expression when he found me beaten and struggling under the city swam up, his anger at someone  harming me and his shared pain at my bruises. 'Don't. Don't go. Please don't go. I don't want to be alone anymore.' 'You've never been alone.' 'But I have.'" Oh, Rachel, let go of that pain, and grab Trent! "'I was hoping you would come to stop me. I really think I was.' 'Hell of a way to make a man put his priorities in order.' 'What took you so long?' 'Scared, I think. I have so many eyes on me.' 'I know what you mean.'" I just love this conversation! They are so close! "...and a faint smile crossed my mouth as I wondered if I'd find out if he'd taken Al up on that circumcision curse." Well, I'm wondering how he could, since Al's attitude turnabout again on elves! "Smiling wickedly, ,I jerked his pants down, then shoved them even lower with a foot to tangle about his feet. The question of boxers or tighty whities was answered and I smiled." But won't tell us? That's evil! "Arms wrapped around his neck, I nibbled his ear, knowing he was helpless to stop me, knowing he'd probably do something deliciously wicked to get me back for it." And counting on it? "Ow! Rachel, we need to work on this timing thing." Yeah, it took you 2 years to get to this point! "I began to realize that Trent was sort of an all-or-nothing kind of man, and I apparently had slipped into the all category. I think he had touched me more-loosened up on his iron-clad calm distance-in the last five minutes than he had the entire last year. My slight headache began to dissipate. This...might work out. I needed to be touched, and he needed to touch someone." Uh, isn't he the same with trust? I know that's a favourite line in since Pale Demon! So why shouldn't the same apply here? "God, you're beautiful. How could I have been so stupid? Thank you for waiting for me to smarten up." Well, you guys have been dancing around this like Rachel thought, for 2 years! "Because I'm never going to let you go, Rachel. I don't care how much you push me away because you're scared. I'll just hold you until you get over it." Like that's going to be easy! "I'd just lost a steady paycheck, because I couldn't work for him anymore. Damn it, I was going to be doing his security for free." I don't think that's going to be an issue! "My toothbrush was staying right where it was, but as I looked at him and the way the water sheeted off the smooth lines of his muscles and the memory of his passion arced through me, I think I might buy an extra one. Just in case." So cute!

Such a great, fantastic book, and now I can finally read (having already read this, and then this) The Witch With No Name! I'm so excited!

Author: Kim Harrison
Series: The Hollows #12
First Read: February 25th, 2014
Read: December 9th, 2014
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: Voyager
Published: February 25th 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!