Saturday, December 20, 2014

Week 51 Review: The Fall

From Goodreads:
Madeline Usher is doomed.

She has spent her life fighting fate, and she thought she was succeeding. Until she woke up in a coffin.

Ushers die young. Ushers are cursed. Ushers can never leave their house, a house that haunts and is haunted, a house that almost seems to have a mind of its own. Madeline's life—revealed through short bursts of memory—has hinged around her desperate plan to escape, to save herself and her brother. Her only chance lies in destroying the house.

In the end, can Madeline keep her own sanity and bring the house down? The Fall is a literary psychological thriller, reimagining Edgar Allan Poe's classic The Fall of the House of Usher.

My Review:
Wow, I really enjoyed this book! At first I really tried to keep the events in order, but sometimes, it felt like even in the same age, that the scenes were out of order, so yeah, I just let go and embraced the madness!

The idea of how the whole curse came to being, and then how it's affected them ever since, just really creepy! And the idea that it was the guy that brought the curse on them, to be the spirit making the house alive, to move things in the directions that he wanted it to? That was just icky!

The whole Lisbeth diary entries, something about them, yeah, pretty much right away, I guessed that this was Madeline's aunt. Just the way that she describes her sister as an innocent, I could just see the house corrupting that into what Madeline's mom became!

The Emily and the young Doctor who's name I've forgotten, storyline, well, I thought it was going in a different direction-that Emily was going to use that money, for her and the doctor, so that they could be together, and that's why she didn't contact Madeline. But nope, she was killed by the doctor!

I really enjoyed this book, though the ending is weird, we don't know if they're still alive, but Cassandra is! Really hope for a sequel, because I didn't catch when Madeline finally realized the truth about the house, and started to distrust it!

Author: Bethany Griffin
Read: December 14th, 2014
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good! And it's a Historical Fiction 2014 Book, SAC 2014 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Published: October 7th 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!