Saturday, January 3, 2015

Week 1 Review: The Darkest Minds

From Goodreads:
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that's killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she's on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

My first review of The Darkest Minds
My Review:
I enjoyed this book so much! It was so entertaining, and I know that I'm going to be reading the next 2 books and 1 novella, very soon, which is just so good! I really enjoyed getting to read about Ruby meeting with the gang for the first time, especially since they don't spend much time together in the next book, and things are different!

So I knew that there was something up with the Children's League, but I had forgotten that they were the ones that introduced the frequency to the White Noise to weed out mislabelled gifts in the kids, and that the guy that "rescued" the other group, killed them, when he said he couldn't get them out!

I really enjoyed Ruby, Liam, Chubs, and Zu! They were just so awesome! I loved all their interactions, from when Chubs tried to push Ruby away, to when just after she had to use her ability in front of them, and then hears them talking about leaving "her" and it turns out that they were talking about Black Betty, that they wanted Ruby around? That was just so sweet!

I knew how bad Clancy was. I just had forgotten what his plan was, exactly. I knew that he had been using his gift on her, and on others, and that he was the one that leaked the position of East River to the government, but that he wanted the group of Reds to come? Yeah, forgot that! Or how he made them stay! Really re-enforcing the whole image of East River being like the camps that the kids are escaping from!

Really enjoyed rereading this book, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

Author: Alexandra Bracken
Series: The Darkest Minds #1
First Read: January 28th, 2013
Read: January 1st, 2015
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading ! And it's a 2015 Dystopia Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Book!
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Published: December 1st 2012
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!