Saturday, March 28, 2015

Week 13 Review: Made You Up

From Goodreads:
Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She's pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She's not prepared for normal. 

Funny, provoking, and ultimately moving, this debut novel featuring the quintessential unreliable narrator will have readers turning the pages and trying to figure out what is real and what is made up. 

My Review:
Yeah, I really loved this book! I started reading it, and then Alex's voice just sucked me in! I've never read a book starring a character with schizophrenia, so I didn't know what to expect, but yeah, Alex's voice was just excellent to read!

I really enjoyed her and Miles. Her schizophrenia was noticed in a "freeing the lobsters" that didn't happen like she thought, and her friend Blue Eyes, she wasn't sure if he was real. And Miles has those same blue eyes. But he's a total jerk! I loved how he would do something, and she would retaliate!

There's the story of how people slowly learned about her schizophrenia, a few people at at time, and then the big reveal courtesy of the local mean girl. There was a mystery going on there with her, the principal, and the girl's mom, but all in all, it ended pretty OK!

I think the scariest bit was the python scene. Snakes are my fear, like spiders are other people. So yeah, that wasn't fun at all! But the saddest bit, was her sister. That the whole thing happened, that was just really sad!

This was a really fantastic book, it was just really great and entertaining, and I can't wait to see what Francesca Zappla writes next!

Author: Francesca Zappla
Read: March 21st, 2015
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded like a really great book, and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2015 Book!
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Expected Publication May 19th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!