Saturday, July 22, 2017

Week 29 Reviews: Once Bitten, Twice Dead


From Goodreads:
Kita Nekai, on the run and the smallest of her shifter clan-a calico cat among lions and tigers-is being hunted. She was expected to accept her role as her father's successor whether or not her cat was up to the task of leading the clan. She disagreed. Now she's less than a step ahead of the hunters, bone-tired, cold, and living hand-to-mouth in the city of Haven. And that's the high point of her day. She's also drugged, "accidently" turned into a vampire, and sentenced to death for recklessly creating a rogue shifter who tortures its human prey. She's got seventy-two hours to find the rogue, evade a city full of hunters, prove she's not responsible for the rogue, and keep the vampire council from killing her. All while sorting out an apprentice mage, a married ex-boyfriend shifter-hunter, and the vampire who made her.

From Goodreads:
Newly undead shifter-turned-vampire Kita Nekai is coming to grips with the reality that her cat has not awakened since her change. 

What she needs is a little time to adjust to her new liquid diet and the increasingly complex attraction to her sire, Nathanial. What she gets is a headless harlequin. With the body count rising, Kita is dragged into a dangerous game of vampire politics. Her involvement draws the attention of an ancient vampire known as the Collector who has a penchant for acquiring the unusual - like a pureblood shifter-turned vampire.

Kita still has unfinished business of her own and finds herself deeper in magical debt.

It's a bad time to be a kitten who can't slip her skin.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading these books! They were so fascinating, and I just devoured them! I loved the world, I loved the characters, I loved the mysteries, I loved the writing! These books were just fantastic reads!

I have a little story about the time that I was reading these books. The 15th was the day after Dobby's surgery, and we had some family over, including another dog, who Dobby had played with before. But this time, because of his stitches, he couldn't go up and down stairs, let alone move quickly. Which meant that I took him inside, but he still knew that they were there. So while I was trying to read these books, he was not happy and made that very clear. I ended up giving him a tooth cleaning bone to distract him, and then taking him out on the leash when that wasn't enough.

Still, Dobby couldn't be in situations for a couple of days where he could strain his stitches, which included being on a bed. Which I solved for my night with him by setting up shop on my pull out couch bed, which wouldn't involve any hights for Dobby. And it was there that I read these books! Ok, story time is done!

Anyways! We dove right into both the action and the world in this book! Kita running away from her home and being chased, as well as world of shifters and vampires, and other dimensions...just so fascinating to read!

These characters were so great to read about, too! They all had their problems, even if it didn't seem that way at first. There was a bit of romance, but there was also a lot of humour, and personal connections. So great to read!

The first books had a pretty fantastic mystery-Kita looking for the rogue that was exposing the supernatural. Then there was the vampire politics of the second book. Both books have so much going on, it was pretty non-stop, and I enjoyed how things worked out!

Yeah, these books were so freaking great, and I can't wait for the 3rd book!

Author: Kalayna Price
Series: Haven #1, 2
Read: July 15th, 16th, 2017
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Really enjoy her writing, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2017 Books!
Publisher: BelleBooks, Inc
Published: January 9th 2009, February 2nd 2010

Once Bitten:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









Twice Dead:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!