Saturday, May 10, 2014

Week 19 Review: Of Monsters and Madness

From Goodreads:
A romantic, historical retelling of classic Gothic horror featuring Edgar Allan Poe and his character Annabel Lee, from a New York Times best-selling author.

Summoned to her father's home in 1820's Philadelphia, a girl finds herself in the midst of a rash of gruesome murders in which he might be implicated. She is torn romantically between her father's assistants-one kind and proper, one mysterious and brooding-who share a dark secret and may have more to do with the violent events than they're letting on.

My Review:
Oh, I was so excited to get this book! I enjoyed Jessica Verday's series, and this was just as, if not more, haunting, eerie, and so readable! I mean, it's got Annabel Lee, and the basis of this book is Edgar Allen Poe. I read some of the reviews of this book who basically said that it was boring, and especially that Poe Purists wouldn't like it, because yeah, Poe is a character in this book, Allen Poe, and Allan's cousin, Edgar. But if you aren't a Poe Purist, this was a pretty good book!

This was the kind of book that the main conflict is in the reader's head-there isn't any big flashy battle, and it's more sinister and creepy then outright threatening. Because Annabel has a interest in medicine, even if her dad forbids it, so she's not scared of a bit of blood. But yeah, there's some creepiness.

I hated the way that her dad treated her, and that she feels pretty deserving of his disappointment, when it's his attitude that's the problem. To the point, where her Grandpere was the only real family that she had (to me, I basically gave up on her dad, because frankly, even if that was how people treated other people then, that doesn't mean that it's acceptable!)

And yeah, I just read on NetGalley, in the notes, that the second books is scheduled for Fall 2015!!! So yeah, there's that, because the ending? It was pretty weird, the exposing of the bad guy, to a hurried meeting at the insane asylum? Yeah.

I really enjoyed this book, can't wait for the second one, and yeah, it was a pretty darned good book!

Author: Jessica Verday
Read: May 5th, 2014
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a SAC 2014 Book and a Historical Fiction 2014 Book!
Publisher: Egmont USA
Expected Publication: September 9th 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!