Saturday, November 2, 2013

Week 44 Review: The King's Pleasure

From Goodreads:
In the kingdom of Himeros, Abigail is despised for her gypsy heritage. Pushed to the fringes of society, she's forced to break the law in order to help feed her family. When a castle guard catches her stealing bread, he intends to cut off her hand for the offense.

Niall has just taken the throne and is determined to prove he isn't a monster like his father. Awakened by the cries of a gypsy, he spares her from the guard’s blade and takes her as his slave instead. When he learns she doesn't understand the kingdom's carnal ways, he becomes determined to strip her of all inhibitions until her every desire is in service to the king's pleasure.

My Review:
This book wasn't totally to my tastes. I mean, I enjoyed reading it, but this kingdom, not for me! Especially when someone could be grievously hurt, to killed, from stealing food from the royal palace. Just a little bit too violent, and sexually minded for me!

And the slavery? Not nice at all! Even if he has slightly good intentions, he basically wants to use her. Which isn't nice at all. Which doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy this, but I just want to voice my complaints more then I want to talk about the good things, because I've written about the good things too much!

The one scene with the dogs? Yeah, I could almost see that happening-mine love to give kisses, aka licks, and Winky in particular has no knowledge of personal boundaries, and they can be quite focused on giving kisses. But to the extent that the dogs in this book did? I don't think so!

That ending, where she had to prove that she hadn't betrayed him? Didn't like that at all! I would've been for leaving, he wasn't treating her very nicely, just because you're the king, doesn't mean you mistreat your subjects, otherwise, why would they want to stay? Then you'd be ruling over nothing! And yeah, I just didn't like his distrust, and her actions because of that.

Yeah. I did love this book. I just want to complain right now!

Author: Kitty Thomas
Read: October 26th, 2013
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a SAC 2013 Book!
Publisher: Burlesque Press
Published: December 17th 2011
5/5 Hearts
3.5/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!