Saturday, June 28, 2014

Week 26 Review: (Don't You) Forget About Me

From Goodreads:
Welcome to Gardnerville.

A place where no one gets sick. And no one ever dies.

Except...
There's a price to pay for paradise. Every fourth year, the strange power that fuels the town exacts its payment by infecting teens with deadly urges. In a normal year in Gardnerville, teens might stop talking to their best friends. In a fourth year, they'd kill them.

Four years ago, Skylar's sister, Piper, was locked away after leading sixteen of her classmates to a watery grave. Since then, Skylar has lived in a numb haze, struggling to forget her past and dull the pain of losing her sister. But the secrets and memories Piper left behind keep taunting Skylar—whispering that the only way to get her sister back is to stop Gardnerville's murderous cycle once and for all.

My Review:
Oh, wow, this was such a creepy book! Because it was told back and forth, from the present, to the stories that they recorded over top of their mom's mixtapes, I was a bit confused in the beginning with the dates and the time line, but as it went on, I got it!

This was a bit of a thriller, a mystery, and a romance all rolled into a YA package, it was almost chilly, because Skylar takes Forget Me Nots, which causes a person to forget, and if you took too much, then you could forget to breathe and then die. Or forget just anything about living, and die. Forgeters die very easily.

Again I'll comment on the mixtape chapters-another thing that muddled things up for me, was the almost constant use of "you" in those chapters, because this is Skylar, talking to/about Piper, Piper's the you, and it was something to train my brain, to expect that and read it within that context!

And the twist near the end! Of who Piper was, and the reasoning behind the town, why it is what it was, that was a really great mystery, and something that I loved learning, it added a bit of a supernatural element to the book, along with the rest of it! Though I have one question right now-why rats?

Oh, I really enjoyed this book, even with my confusion, because yeah, it was just that good!

Author: Kate Karyus Quinn
Read: June 22nd, 2014
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded good, loved her 1st book, and it's a WoW Book and a SAC 2014 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: June 10th 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!