Saturday, October 25, 2014

Week 43 Review: Seventh Grave and No Body

From Goodreads:
Twelve. Twelve of the deadliest beasts ever forged in the fires of hell have escaped onto our plane, and they want nothing more than to rip out the jugular of Charley Davidson and serve her lifeless, mangled body to Satan for dinner. So there's that. But Charley has more on her plate than a mob of testy hellhounds. For one thing, her father has disappeared, and the more she retraces his last steps, the more she learns he was conducting an investigation of his own, one that has Charley questioning everything she's ever known about him. Add to that an ex-BFF who is haunting her night and day, a rash of suicides that has authorities baffled, and a drop-dead sexy fiancé who has attracted the attentions of a local celebrity, and Charley is not having the best week of her life.

A tad north of hell, a hop, skip, and a jump past the realm of eternity, is a little place called Earth, and Charley Davidson, grim reaper extraordinaire, is determined to do everything in her power to protect it.

We're doomed.

My Review:
Wow. I mean, words can describe how much I loved this book-I read it on it's release date, for one-but I don't think I can come up with all of the ones that I need to properly describe this! Because hey, I wanted this book so badly and then I got it, happiness!

So many funny things! Like because of Beep, she can't have caffeine, so she starts having decaf coffee, and then starts calling it Satan's blood. Just so Charley! And yeah, just calling her baby, Beep, is just so cute, because currently under the size of a black eyed pea! Yes. Love!

Their couples argument in the crime boss's place? So hilarious! They're talking about the supernatural right in front of the guy, and yeah, just hilarious! Though they could've done it in another language or something.

That ending? Stabbing herself with Zeus, seeing an angel, and then pushing away the hell hounds? And then being stronger then ever? And then finding out that her dad died? Because he was tailing the people watching her-the Vatican. And that the angels aren't happy about the people that she healed? Yeah. Such an amazing, heart wrenching, packed ending!

Favourite lines: "I often question my sanity. Occasionally it replies." Yeah, love how they twisted that! "If the woman howling from the backseat of Agent Carson's black SUV weren't already dead, I would've strangled her. Gladly. And with much exuberance."

"I suddenly felt the need to explain that night with the chess club, It was all a blur, but I was certain of one thing: Chad Ackerman's tattoo of a female impersonator was not my fault. Not entirely."

 "He regarded Reye's unconscious form, then turned to me. 'Got any duct tape?'" They are so weird!" "Most of what I call 'cooking' is just melting cheese on stuff." Which sounds so awesome! "He must have had holy water in that canister instead of bug spray. 'No wonder I've been seeing so many spiders lately.' Holy water may fend off demons, but spiders were completely unfazed by it. I made a mental note to call a real bug guy ay-sap. Not that I had anything against spiders. I liked them as much as the next girl. Not." Love so much! "We put Reyes in my bed, which still butted against the head of Reye's bed, where there used to be a wall before Reyes went all This Old House on me." Which was just so darned funny! "'You like all kids.' 'Not my own.' she said, teasing. 'I heard that.' Amber, Cookie's offspring, had come in and was standing behind me" Their banter is awesome! "I asked Osh if we should change his duct tape. Which sounded odd even to me..." Well, because it is odd! "See owner for mounting instructions." I just love these chapter funnies! "It'll do for now, but we need to come up with a great name. Something that shouts, 'I will lay waste to the evil in this world!'" Which will be hard! "'Until then, wan tto do it?' "Reyes! You just had your arm nearly ripped off at the shoulder.' 'We can still do it.' 'No, we can't.' 'I'm very creative with my mouth.' 'I am well aware of that.' 'You should sit on my face.' 'I am not sitting on your face. Oh, my god.'" So cute! Love it so much! "You're the reason I get up in the morning. That, and I need to pee." Both sweet and funny! "The horror that riveted through me, the absolute terror with a taint of nausea, stunned me speechless for three, maybe four seconds, I put the mug down and made a cross with my finders, screaming, 'Death before decaf!' as Garrett poured himself a cup. The fool." Speaking as someone who has never had coffee, and most likely, never will, cuz it spells gross, this is a bit of an overreaction. Love it! "Breakfast will be ready in ten, with a few added nutrients from the floor." Awesome. "'A wine, please.' 'Ma'am, this is McDonalds.' 'Okay, a McWine, please.'" I don't think they have that, chapter funny! "The water surged right through her, of course, but she didn't seem to notice as she pounced, growling to give it a stern warning. To give them all a stern warning. No splashing allowed! So it is written. So shall it be done." Major love for Artemis! "I don't want you to forget this moment. In about a week, I'll come up with a scathing retort." Because you're too occupied with other things till then? "'Last week you wanted me to name a burrrito after you.' 'And?' 'The week before that, it was a burger with both red and green chile.' 'Yes, Christmas style, like me. I'm multicoloured and sparkly like Christmas. I'm not sure what your point is.'" That there'd be a lot of items called Charley Davidson, how could they tell the differences between all of them? "I am slowly decomposing. It's awesome! I want to see it in stages. You know, check out what I look like every so often. Sadly, the embalming fluid is slowing down the process drastically." Which must suck! "Help someone when they're in trouble, and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again." I can't tell if that's a good thing, or a bad thing! "Note to self: stop making paper airplanes out of Cookie's memos." Yeah, might actually need to read them! "We titled our head in unison, trying to see the baby emerge. Then, again in unison, we both cried out in horror." Well, that sounds pretty bad for the baby! "He's a slut." Well, mean to say, but true! "...refraining both from explaining the error of her definition of a strap-on and the fact that I was currently wearing a bra named Penelope." Oh, you liar, Charley, you just said you didn't name your bras! "'We're talking about special purposes. We're talking about how Reyes has a spectacular special purpose.' 'Honey, we all have a special purpose. Some are just bigger than others. You'll have your own special purpose someday." Well, since they're actually talking about men's privates as special purposes, I'd think not! Stemming from a question about Reye's "special purpose" when she saw it accidentally last book, which was hilarious! "If I'm upset, hold me and tell me how beautiful I am. If I growl, retreat to a safe distance and throw chocolate. -BEST. ADVICE. EVER." I agree with that 110%! "I was growing quite annoyed with the lot of them, if two could be considered a lot. It was kind of iffy, like of like how two crows was only an attempted murder." Love so much! "id imagined myself as a coffee machine for so long, it was difficult, but I managed it." Because fighting is so much better then coffee! "I'm going to be my own undoing? Not Antonio Banderas?" That sucks! "I wasn't paying her to play spider solitaire Unless I was playing spider solitaire. Then we were good." I just love what she things! "Lead me not into temptation. Follow me instead! I know a shortcut!" Giggles! Laughs! "'Or you, Uncle Reyes. I don't have to call you that. I just thought since I'm losing Uncle Bob.' 'You're losing Ubie? Is he dying again? You know he just says that to gain sympathy.' 'Well, no, you know, since he and Mom hooked up, the term uncle seems a little weird. So I thought since you're marrying Aunt Charley, maybe-' 'I'm honored.'" Soooooo sweet! "'Okay, that was a good drive.' 'You ran three red lights.' 'Yeah, but it's two in the morning. No one was around. And I didn't want to be sitting ducks for any hellhounds that might happen along.' 'And you drove through the university campus where there are no streets.' 'Yet plenty of sidewalk.'" That sounds a bit like an exciting ride!

Yep. Awesome book, check, read it, check, waiting desperately for the next book which doesn't come out till May, check. Anything else?

Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson #7
Read: October 21st, 2014
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Love this series, I just had to read it! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Published: October 21st 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!