Saturday, July 16, 2016

Week 29 Review: Kindling the Moon

From Goodreads:
Meet Arcadia Bell: bartender, renegade magician, fugitive from the law. . . .

Being the spawn of two infamous occultists (and alleged murderers) isn't easy, but freewheeling magician Arcadia "Cady" Bell knows how to make the best of a crummy situation. After hiding out for seven years, she's carved an incognito niche for herself slinging drinks at the demon-friendly Tambuku Tiki Lounge.

But she receives an ultimatum when unexpected surveillance footage of her notorious parents surfaces: either prove their innocence or surrender herself. Unfortunately, the only witness to the crimes was an elusive Æthyric demon, and Cady has no idea how to find it. She teams up with Lon Butler, an enigmatic demonologist with a special talent for sexual spells and an arcane library of priceless stolen grimoires. Their research soon escalates into a storm of conflict involving missing police evidence, the decadent Hellfire Club, a ruthless bounty hunter, and a powerful occult society that operates way outside the law. If Cady can't clear her family name soon, she'll be forced to sacrifice her own life . . . and no amount of running will save her this time.

My Review:
This book was so awesome! It was different and awesome, and I enjoyed these characters and this world! And some awesome writing, too! I just devoured this book, and I enjoyed every page! Books like these are why I love reading!

I enjoyed Cady-she lead a pretty great life until the murders, and dealt with being left behind for safety pretty well. And she built a really great life for herself, no matter that her parents wouldn't approve of it, and didn't, as it turns out!

Most of the time, I just kinda gloss over the descriptions of people. So when it got to the memory retrieval scene, Lon's mustache was something of a surprise! Which is a reminder to me not to skim, even if I can't really imagine physical descriptions!

Of this world where people know about the supernatural, they just don't really believe it, yeah, that was really awesome! And the whole Earthbounds, demons that were summoned, placed into bodies, and then had their summoner died/killed on them, so they couldn't return home, and so lived, and generations later, there's a lot of them out there? And the Æthyric demon and sorcerers? Yeah, really interesting and I can't wait to read more about them and learn more!

The ending was hard to read. That her parents had committed those murders? And deliberately left her behind because they thought she was useless at being the Moonchild, when it turns out it happens at age 25, not puberty? Oh, and that they were going to sacrifice her to gain her powers! Yeah. Hard to read! And so infuriating to read, I made a lot of sounds to support Cady!

Loved reading this book so much, so interesting, and I can't wait to read more of this series!

Author: Jenn Bennett
Series: Arcadia Bell #1
Read: July 11th, 2016
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really great! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2016 Book!
Publisher: Pocket Books
Published: June 28th 2011
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!