Saturday, January 4, 2014

Week 1 Review: Belle Epoque

From Goodreads:
When Maude Pichon runs away from provincial Brittany to Paris, her romantic dreams vanish as quickly as her savings. Desperate for work, she answers an unusual ad. The Durandeau Agency provides its clients with a unique service—the beauty foil. Hire a plain friend and become instantly more attractive. 

Monsieur Durandeau has made a fortune from wealthy socialites, and when the Countess Dubern needs a companion for her headstrong daughter, Isabelle, Maude is deemed the perfect foil.

But Isabelle has no idea her new "friend" is the hired help, and Maude's very existence among the aristocracy hinges on her keeping the truth a secret. Yet the more she learns about Isabelle, the more her loyalty is tested. And the longer her deception continues, the more she has to lose.

My Review:
I loved this book! I mean, such a wonderful concept, of a girl being hired to show off the beauty of another girl. Such a creative idea, and one that I rather enjoyed albeit one that does show the differences between people with money, and those without, basically.

I loved Maude, she's strong and independent, she runs away from an arranged marriage, and then she get's herself a job, even though she didn't like the job description at first. It is insulting to the plain girl, but yeah, she makes decisions that are the best for her!

I loved her relationship with Isabelle, it was really quite awesome, and how they grew to be well together, they were just so good together, they were pretty great friends, and they complimented each other! It was just a great girl-girl friendship in YA!

Loved how everything resolved, it was great, fitting for the story, and just really great! It was a really good ending, one that took all the threads, and just made a good, creative ending, one that I really, really enjoyed so freaking much!

This was a fantastic book, and I can't wait to see what Elizabeth Ross writes next!

Author: Elizabeth Ross
Read: December 30th, 2013
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a DAC Book, SAC 2013 Book, and Historical Fiction 2013 Book!
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Published: June 11th 2013
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!