Friday, January 27, 2017

Heartstone: Review

From Goodreads:
A debut historical fantasy that recasts Jane Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice in an imaginative world of wyverns, dragons, and the warriors who fight alongside them against the monsters that threaten the kingdom: gryphons, direwolves, lamias, banshees, and lindworms

They say a Rider in possession of a good blade must be in want of a monster to slay—and Merybourne Manor has plenty of monsters. 

Passionate, headstrong Aliza Bentaine knows this all too well; she's already lost one sister to the invading gryphons. So when Lord Merybourne hires a band of Riders to hunt down the horde, Aliza is relieved her home will soon be safe again.

Her relief is short-lived. With the arrival of the haughty and handsome dragonrider, Alastair Daired, Aliza expects a battle; what she doesn't expect is a romantic clash of wills, pitting words and wit against the pride of an ancient house. Nor does she anticipate the mystery that follows them from Merybourne Manor, its roots running deep as the foundations of the kingdom itself, where something old and dreadful slumbers . . . something far more sinister than gryphons.

It's a war Aliza is ill-prepared to wage, on a battlefield she's never known before: one spanning kingdoms, class lines, and the curious nature of her own heart. 

Elle Katharine White infuses elements of Austen's beloved novel with her own brand of magic, crafting a modern epic fantasy that conjures a familiar yet wondrously unique new world. 

My Review:
I devoured this book. I had a massive headache, one that lasted two days, and still, I read this book! I just had to know more of where this story was going! I couldn't devour this book fast enough, and to have a sequel, more time in this world, with these characters! I need more!

This book took what I love about Pride and Prejudice (which I've read, and the 2005 movie I've seen over and over!) and just made it more! These characters do have pride, and they do have prejudice, and the emotions that they evoked in each other were just fantastic to read!

And there was more! There was this awesome world that was just so fantastic and I loved it so much! Of dragons, wyverns, gryphons and more, there was just so interesting to read, and I want to know more, to explore more! There were also more depths to these characters, like the reason why Gwen got married to the heir character whose name I've forgotten, was more complicated than just being a burden on her parents!

I really, really want a sequel! Like I said, I love this world, and I think there could be something going on with the Silent King and the debt that Gwen's dad had. And yeah, I just want to spend more time with these characters!

Absolutely loved this book, and yeah, I would love more!

Author: Elle Katherine White
Read: January 23rd, 2017
Source: Edelweiss for Review Tour
Reason Why: Sounded absolutely great, and it's a 2017 Retelling Reading Challenge Book and a Historical Fiction 2017 Book!
Publisher: Harper Voyage
Published: January 17th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars
Bio:
A textbook introvert who likes to throw out the textbook every once in a while just to see what happens, Elle grew up in Buffalo, NY, where she learned valuable life skills like how to clear a snowy driveway in under twenty minutes and how to cheer for the perennial underdog. When she’s not writing, she spends her time drinking tea, loitering in libraries and secondhand bookshops, and dreaming of world travel.

Contact and Buy AKA Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!