Saturday, February 28, 2015

Week 9 Review: Obsession in Death

From Goodreads:
Lieutenant Eve Dallas walks the thin line between love and hate in the latest thriller from #1 New York Times bestseller J. D. Robb...Eve Dallas has solved a lot of high-profile murders for the NYPSD and gotten a lot of media. She - with her billionaire husband - is getting accustomed to being an object of attention, of gossip, of speculation.

But now Eve has become the object of one person's obsession. Someone who finds her extraordinary, and thinks about her every hour of every day. Who believes the two of them have a special relationship. Who would kill for her again and again. An aggressive defense attorney who's sparred with Eve in the courtroom is the first victim, but she isn't the last. The messages left for Eve at the crime scenes chill her and turn her stomach. It doesn't get much more personal than this - and Eve refuses to hand the investigation over to anyone else. With a murderer reading meaning into her every move, handling this case will be a delicate - and dangerous - psychological dance.

And Eve knows that underneath the worship and admiration, a terrible threat lies in wait. Because the beautiful lieutenant is not at all grateful for these bloody offerings from her "true and loyal friend." And in time, idols always fall....

My Review:
This was a really fantastic book! Loved being with Eve and her team when they track and find what, from one perspective, be their worst criminal, one that believes in Justice, but that her hands are tied, so tries to fix it-and said bad guy works for the police in some capacity.

This takes place just in the last few days of 2060, and yeah, we get to see some of her previous cases. Like the one from number 3? Where the guy controlled Eve and Roarke with his music. And then a few others, before Eve finally catches her!

We got a few looks into the killer's head, because she wrote a few journal entries, and then the notes that she left for Eve. And maybe it's a bit of a spoiler saying "she" but around halfway that's discovered, so yeah. And that ending, wow! Eve was certainly fast there! And now I just want more!

One little question I have, since I don't know colours that aren't nice and simple like red, blue, yellow, green, purple, ext. is if the colour for the main part of this cover, is it the same as the suit that Morris was wearing? I believe Peabody called it something that Eve confused with chameleon, orange red?

Favourite lines: "She considered, as she never had, that she could install Roarke's real and excellent blend in the break room. But then she rejected the notion as temporarily sentimental.  You just didn't go around breaking tradition of bad cop break-room coffee because you felt good about having good cops under your command. Besides, they'd lose the fun of sneaking in and stealing it from her AutoChef. Who was she to spoil their good time?" Uh, not doing it is being sentimental! "But while it's not pink – thank you, Jesus – I have a magic coat." Yes, go magic coat! "I got connections. Programmed it in as spinach smoothie. Not one of my kids is going to touch that option should lives depend on it. It ain't loaded with sugar or caffeine, they ain't going near it." That is both very smart, and very mean! "Yeah, yeah, I got it’s red. I don't know why it's red. A purple herring makes more sense – or less, which is kind of the point – but I got it's red." Ah, the saying/idiom Eve's protesting this book! So funny! "'Candidates.' For Dallas’s new best friend. I'm not really clear on how I ended up with the friends I actually have, but I do know a top requirement is no murdering lunatics need apply." Of course! "Sorry, but my wife getting love letters from a thrice-divorced woman with a son does have some amusing factors." Yeah, kinda! "I haven't been interested in anybody since Luca. After we broke up, I asked myself: What would Eve do? It really helps me to think things through that way. WWED! And I thought, Well, Eve would sit back, take some stock, just live life, you know?" Wow, she is definitely obsessed with Eve! "Turning down baked goods? Eve thought. Her cops had decided to throw up full shields." Yeah, they would, seeing this case! "'Should I assume an impending apocalypse as you’re home early and show no signs of injury?' 'Should I assume you have a pulse as the cadaver I just visited shows more signs of life than you?'" Ah, their bantering! So funny! "He wasn't sure how he managed to hold her down in his weakened condition, or if his ears would ever stop ringing from the screaming, but, again, it was worth it." All because he turned the shower down from 102 degrees to 90? And she thinks that's cold? Too funny! "You may have a face a mother would have a hard time loving, Dirk, but you make up for it with your cheerful, outgoing personality and sparkling charm." Yes, Dirk, from Portrait in Death, I think? His former apprentice? Love these glimpses of these past cases! Though I'm not remembering them, which sucks! "Kentucky bourbon. Good stuff if you can get it. Got family in Lexington. My uncle's been known to chase the wild goose after a few rounds of Wild Turkey." I don't know alcohol and names for it, but this little confusion is funny! "Others warned that all activity in said rooms would be monitored and recorded. One way to discourage personal use if a cop had an urge to virtually lie naked on a beach, or get it on with a fellow officer, visitor, or tech. There were ways around it, of course, and rumor was the second holoroom was routinely glitchy because somebody messed with the monitors so they could lie on the beach or get it on." Of course that would be going around! "I'll keep an eye out for homicidal women who think I'm an easy mark." Because you're not an easy mark, Feeney! "Then again, maybe the kid was plotting how she'd get her hands – or her mouth – on the diamond again." Oh, that is just so cute! "FYI, evidence indicates I'm currently toxic. Any contact with me may result in death. Take the appropriate precautions." If she sent that message out, it'd be awesome! "I'll remember that should I have to arrest you for aiding and abetting homicidal vegetation." Yeah, why would you want a plant that eats humans? "I wasn't going to let the last words I said to you be 'Later, honey.'" Yes, because that is not an Eve thing to say!

What a great book, and just proves, that this series is still going strong, 40 books in!

Author: J.D. Robb
Series: In Death #40
Read: February 27th, 2015
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Love this series! And it's a 2015 Dystopia Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons
Published: February 10th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!