Saturday, February 14, 2015

Week 7 Review: Shadow Scale

From Goodreads:
Seraphina took the literary world by storm with 8 starred reviews and numerous "Best of" lists. At last, her eagerly awaited sequel has arrived—and with it comes an epic battle between humans and dragons.

The kingdom of Goredd: a world where humans and dragons share life with an uneasy balance, and those few who are both human and dragon must hide the truth. Seraphina is one of these, part girl, part dragon, who is reluctantly drawn into the politics of her world. When war breaks out between the dragons and humans, she must travel the lands to find those like herself—for she has an inexplicable connection to all of them, and together they will be able to fight the dragons in powerful, magical ways. 

As Seraphina gathers this motley crew, she is pursued by humans who want to stop her. But the most terrifying is another half dragon, who can creep into people's minds and take them over. Until now, Seraphina has kept her mind safe from intruders, but that also means she's held back her own gift. It is time to make a choice: Cling to the safety of her old life, or embrace a powerful new destiny?

My Review:
I loved reading this book! It's been forever since I read Seraphina, but since Seraphina was such a great book, I was willing to wait for this. And it was well worth the wait! If I had the time, I'd happily read it again in a heartbeat! It was just so fantastic!

I loved the opening, which was like the opening of a textbook or something, that summarized the events of Seraphina, with some commentary, and then said that this story is when he believed Seraphina's story began. I don't agree with him, the first book was the start, but this is part of her story, too!

So some of the things that this book dealt with, were Seraphina finding the other ityasaari, the gifts that some of them have, Jannoula and her history with Seraphina, and what Jannoula is doing now. Because she's very enmeshed in the fabric of this story! It also dealt with the dragon civil war.

I loved being able to explore this world, as Seraphina travelled to all of the countries on the map, from Ninys, Samsam, Porphyry, and Tanamoot, and of course, her native Goredd. We got to explore the various cultures-the Porphyry language has 6 genders!-and learn some very interesting things! Her uncle Orma had a surprising theory that turned out to be bigger then it seemed!

Really enjoyed that ending! There were some hurts, some bigger then others, but Seraphina, and others used the knowledge they'd gained over the course of the series, and yeah, it was a pretty big and explosive ending! Loved it!

This was such a great book, there was hints of a romance-and a triangle was redefined a bit-and yeah, this could be the end of the series, but I want more! It's such a great series, and I want to be in this world some more!

Author: Rachel Hartman
Series: Seraphina #2
Read: February 11th, 2015
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: I loved Seraphina, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Expected Published: March 10th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!