Saturday, December 17, 2016

Week 51 Review: Little Peach

From Goodreads:
What do you do if you're in trouble?

When Michelle runs away from her drug-addicted mother, she has just enough money to make it to New York City, where she hopes to move in with a friend. But once she arrives at the bustling Port Authority, she is confronted with the terrifying truth: she is alone and out of options. 

Then she meets Devon, a good-looking, well-dressed guy who emerges from the crowd armed with a kind smile, a place for her to stay, and eyes that seem to understand exactly how she feels. 

But Devon is not what he seems to be, and soon Michelle finds herself engulfed in the world of child prostitution where he becomes her "Daddy" and she his "Little Peach." It is a world of impossible choices, where the line between love and abuse, captor and savior, is blurred beyond recognition. 

This hauntingly vivid story illustrates the human spirit's indomitable search for home, and one girl's struggle to survive. 

My Review:
To start off this review, I'll say that this book is fantastic, and it's not going to be for everyone. It's a look at what it's like in the world of child prostitution. Which is something that should never happen, but it does. And for me, it sparked outrage that it actually happens, and that it hasn't been stopped yet!

This book was hard to read! It starts right off with Michelle at the hospital, fearing for her life. Then it flashes back to her childhood, to the point where she's homeless and is picked up by Devon who promises safety and a home and a family. He lied.

Even as she is pulled into this world without really knowing what was going on, she liked parts of it. Like that if she cried out for help with a "trick" then she would be helped. And that her mom's boyfriend couldn't hurt her anymore. But there was the threat of the gang that she worked for. So it was a double edged blade, and the situation quickly deteriorated after one of the girls had a miscarriage.

My rating looks negative on this book. But it's not because I didn't like it! The heart is how much I liked it, the book is how likely I'll be to buy it, and the star is how likely it is that I'll reread it. And since I have a copy of it, I don't need to buy one. And like I said, this was a hard book to read, which is why there's a lower chance that I'll reread it. Yeah.

This book was really fantastic, and a great picture of this situation!

Author: Peggy Kern
Read: December 11th, 2016
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Really fantastic, and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2016 Book!
Publisher: Balzer + Bray/Harper Teen
Published: March 10th 2015
5/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!