Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 38 Review: Blackbird

From Goodreads:
This twisty, breathless cat-and-mouse thrill ride, told in the second person, follows a girl with amnesia in present-day Los Angeles who is being pursued by mysterious and terrifying assailants.

A girl wakes up on the train tracks, a subway car barreling down on her. With only minutes to react, she hunches down and the train speeds over her. She doesn't remember her name, where she is, or how she got there. She has a tattoo on the inside of her right wrist of a blackbird inside a box, letters and numbers printed just below: FNV02198. There is only one thing she knows for sure: people are trying to kill her. 

On the run for her life, she tries to untangle who she is and what happened to the girl she used to be. Nothing and no one are what they appear to be. But the truth is more disturbing than she ever imagined. 

The Maze Runner series meets Code Name Verity, Blackbird is relentless and action-packed, filled with surprising twists.

My Review:
I didn't really read the synopsis of the book, so the 2nd person POV threw me for oh, about 2 sentences. Then I brushed it off and got right on reading! And then when I was looking over this review, what do I see but that it states clearly up above that it is in 2nd person. So I feel a bit silly. But that's not a new feeling!

I think the thing I loved most about this, was combining the 2nd person POV with the narrator having her memory wiped, because names aren't really important, we get, like, 6, because nobody knows hers, so she takes the nickname Sunny for a bit, and another name we get turns out to be a fake. Yeah, names aren't really that important!

I really enjoyed the mystery, of why she was left on the subway tracks, how there's a guy watching her, and then some people who are trying to kill her, and the memories that start to come. Because they show a not so easy life, from the funeral, to the guy on the island, and the boar, and being strangled. Yeah. And that the island has something to do with that she's going through now? And that they set it up so that going to the police would be bad? They're clever, but she's more so!

The ending! It kinda broke my heart, that he would do that, though we don't have all the information. But then she meets the guy from the memories. So there's some complications. But there's still the "how are we going to get out of this?" question still to answer, and I hope that means dismantling the company and arresting all that participated in the whole thing! Though the short chapters of other people's POV, those helped show things that she didn't know-like there was a guy who was arrested for the fire that they think she did, who might know her real name!

Favourite lines: "I think I said 'Want to meet up?' What about that sounded like I needed help?" Tone of voice, because choice of words sure doesn't! "Please...I don't need the judgement, Mr. I-Sell-Pot-in-Supermarket-Bathrooms." So you shouldn't give it! "You named your sweatshirt?" That is a rather odd thing to do! "Easy on the judgement, Miss I'm-Wanted-by-the-LAPD." Repeating that, are you?

Yeah. Such an amazing book, and a great mystery, and I can't wait for the ending book! Because I know it's going to be spectacular!

Author: Anna Carey
Series: Blackbird Duology #1
Read: September 25th, 2014
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded good, loved her previous series, and it's a 2014 Dystopia Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: September 16th 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!