Monday, September 29, 2014

Holly Hearts Hollywood: Review

From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Holly Hart wants to be a star. She moves to Los Angeles from the small town of Cedar Junction, only to hear she’s too fat and ugly to be a famous singer. 

But when Shell Shocked Records looks past Holly’s plus-size and less-than-graceful-personality to offer her a recording contract, Holly cannot believe her good fortune. On closer inspection, however, the the record execs want Holly to do all the singing, and a thinner and more beautiful girl, Lacey, would lip-sync and get all the credit. Holly goes for it because after all, she wanted to sing. 

Contractually bound to secrecy, Holly is more than happy to sit backstage while Lacey shimmies in the limelight and basks in the fame. Before she knows it, Holly is friends with Serena, the pop-star daughter of a music-mogul, flirting with an intern, and developing a strange half-friendship with Lacey. 

When Grayson Frost, the biggest country star in America, and coincidentally, a former school bully begins dating Lacey, Holly hopes that he won’t recognize or torment her.

Through a series of embarrassing and weird events, Holly gets to know Grayson and learns that he is much nicer and more mature than he was four years ago. Holly is horrified when she starts falling for him. When Grayson admits he fell for Lacey's voice, what is a girl to do when she can’t legally tell the truth at the moment when the truth matters the most?

My Review:
I really identified with Holly. I'm plus sized, I'm shy, and I retreat into books, like music is her sanctuary-though I like to sing too, it's just for fun, not a dream like it is for her. And yeah, this was a nice, light book, one that I enjoyed!

I had a bad feeling about the contract, because it reminded me of the one scene in the musical Cinderella Story that stars Lucy Hale, where Hale's character sings, and her stepsister takes the credit, but on a much larger scale, and on contract, and she wasn't forced to do so, she made a decision between signing and doing what it said, or not signing, and probably not making it like she wanted. But really, signing it meant that it wasn't her that was making it, it was her voice.

And that's part of what she struggles with in the book, between fame and being nobody in the eyes of the world who nobody cares about you but your friends and family. And if it was the right decision for her to make, if she could've done things differently.

But where she ends up is a pretty good place, she's happy, things are going well, and yeah, the journey that her romance took, that was just incredible, and I really enjoyed them, and it was almost guy likes girl so he shows his affections through teasing, though some of it wasn't very nice at all, but they made it to a good place!

Yeah, this was a pretty great book, one I really enjoyed! Go on, go check it out!

Author: Kenley Conrad
Read: September 298th, 2014
Source: YA Bound Book Tours Review Copy
Reason Why: Sounded good! And it's a SAC 2014 Book!
Publisher: Swoon Romance
Published: September 23rd 2014

5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars











Bio:
I'm the author of YA novel, Holly Hearts Hollywood, which is currently available on Amazon! I'm a twenty-something cat lady who lives in Phoenix, Arizona. When I'm not working my office day job or writing books, you can find me either singing and dancing or binge-watching TV shows on Netflix.

Contact and Buy AKA Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!