Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 39 Review: Dates From Hell

From Goodreads:
1 Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison - Ivy and vampire Art are partners on homicide case for Inderland Security.

2 The Claire Switch Project by Lynsay Sands - Claire, new shapeshifter, accepts dates for school reunion with crush Kyle and his sister Jill. 

3 Chaotic by Kelley Armstrong - Half-demon Hope is sent to museum gala by mentor Tristan to catch werewolf thief Mateson. 

4 Dead Man Dating by Lori Handeland - On their first date, Kit goes too far with Eric, shot by bystander Chavez, then wakes to no blood, no body.

My Review:
So I didn't read Chaotic, since I read it last last year, so I didn't need to. But I read the other 3 books in the anthology, and I utterly loved them, and I wouldn't mind a series for the 2 that don't have one, because they were both pretty great worlds!

So first off, the reason why I read the series, the Hollows short story, and yeah, it was awesome to read from Ivy's POV, and Ivy before she met Rachel, like, before they were partnered together for a year at the I.S. And that was pretty great ,seeing her life, and her thoughts, and how truly bad she thinks of herself, about blood and love, and how they're connected or not. And we got to see Mia, and a bit about Banshees before we get that again in the full length novel later on! So yeah, loved that!

The Claire Switch Project, the idea behind the whole double date, with the twins, and Claire pretending to be two people, is just kinda hilarious, and add into the fact that Claire and Kyle have liked each other since they were 12, but didn't act on it? So cute! And then the double date causes all sorts of trouble, and hilarity! Loved it so much!

Dead Man Walking, I read the beginning-and pretty much forgot that because the current page was much more entertaining the the last, and the last, and the last! And it was a pretty detailed world for only about 80 pages on my nook, and the romance develops too, and that was just awesome, and it was just such a great novella!

Favourite lines from Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil: "I thought you stuck with Piscary because of his dental plan. His dentals in your neck." Which is a crappy situation for Kisten! "Move faster, unless you want to have the carpet steam cleaned!" This is funny, because steam cleaning carpets is half the business that my dad owns and works, that I work for! "...she impatiently kept hitting the star button until the machine had a cyber coronary and dumped her into a real person's phone." This is an awesome line!

Favourite lines from The Claire Switch Project: "You two are so pathetic. Honestly. You've adored him for years, and he's been following you with calf eyes just as long, yet neither of you has the balls to do anything about it." That's so cute! "Did she throw off her clothes and wait for him to do something? The only problem was, he'd likely assume her behavior was a result of being subjected to the destabilizer. Then he'd start check her pulse and such." Would kinda kill the romance! "Think Freud. Think penis envy." Which what they're doing, is totally weird! "Claire grimaced at the idea of Magda the b***c. A Barbie doll look-alike with blond hair and boobs, she'd had everything...Expect personality, compassion, and heart." Which are pretty important qualities to have! "This was going to be the date from hell...or the double date from hell." Yeah, kinda is going to be! "While she had been distracted by Magda's kiss, the other woman had slid her hand down to where Brad's groin should have been...and got the surprise of her life. Breaking the kiss, Magda said with shock, 'You don't have a penis!'" So it didn't come along automatically with looking like a guy? "I may be a scientist, Claire, but I could never see you as just an experiment. I am a man, too." Aw, this is pretty sweet! "Hot monkey sex? I've got news for you, Jill, I've seen two monkeys have sex and it's not pretty." and "Eww! You mean you like you two shave stood there and watched monkeys have sex? That's sick!" Hilarious., and what do you expect, they are scientists, and deal with animals! "I was just wondering how much of this double date from hell I've spend in the bathroom." I'd think it'd be more then half of it! "Well she isn't Claire now, and surly a full Brad is better than a Brad with books for getting her out of here?" Yeah guy - boobs = easier getting out undetected! "I am not walking out of here wearing nothing but Kyle's suit jacket." Yeah, that might end up badly! "They were two men in a women's washroom  after all. Well, one and a half men, she supposed." Especially since she's only taken the look of a guy, isn't actually one, and is only half guy in that look! "The coast is clear if you want to leave. Or the two of you could just do it right here in the girls' bathroom and get it over with. Honestly." Yeah, they got hot and heavy pretty quickly there! "I was just thinking that you were two-timing me with my own sister." Yeah, and since it wasn't romantic, this is funny! "He loses little Beth every time he babysits and it drives him wild." That's what you get when you can change what you look like, and have a kid with someone who can do the same! Also, is it babysitting when you're looking after your own kid?

Favourite lines from Dead Man Dating: "You don't get to think." Uh, not like you can stop her! "
Who are you?' 'Chavez.' 'Is that your first name or your last?' 'Both.'" Which is too funny, but makes when he tells her his actual other name, I think first, Zac, even more special! "Ten floors down. Spider Woman, I'm not." Yeah, silly head, 10 floors up! Not like she's got an easy escape route from 10 floors up! "Of course. I'm just a little rusty on my demonology. Haven't had to use it in, oh...my entire life." And who but those that deal with demons really do use it? "We've been over this. There aren't any demons, Chavez. Go away." Yes, you pesk! "You're attracted to women who read?" I read! He is kinda started to sound a bit perfect! "Chavez thought my glasses were sexy, my dumpiness cute, my penchant for reading on a Friday night attractive. No wonder I wanted to keep him around forever." Can we clone him, please? "The guy disappeared. Poof." Yeah, normal people don't do that! "Seems like there's too much evil in the world all day to have demons only available at night." Yeah, there is, which is why his explanation of whispers during they day with no presence makes sense. "'Where is it written?' 'In the code of common decency.' 'Never read it.'" Figures! "Anyone up for an apocalypse?" Not me! "Amazing what a little Armageddon can do for one's lying skills." You'd think they'd get worse, seeing as there's really no point in lying! "Does a person have to be dead to find some peace around here?" Yeah, that's a lot of people coming around! "Shouldn't he be demon dust?" Yeah, if this was the same demon as the one you were getting rid of! "A deal with the devil? Hmm, let me think. No." Go, you! "Seems to me that the last demon took both of us to kill. Without me, you'd still be flailing around with your salt and your holy water and your sacramental wine." This is very true! They are very good together!

Yeah, this was such a fantastic anthology, with some really fantastic authors, and I'm going to have to check out Lynsay Sand and Lori Handeland's books because I utterly enjoyed these stories so much!

Authors: Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Lori Handeland
Series: The Hollows #2.5
Read: September 25th, 2014
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Reading the whole series!
Publisher: Avon
Published: March 28th 2006
/5 Hearts
/5 Books
/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!