Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 39 Review: The Good, The Bad, and The Undead

From Goodreads:
Rachel Morgan, sexy witch, independent bounty hunter, prowls the downtown Cincinnati for criminal creatures of the night. She can handle leather-clad vamps and a cunning demon or two. But a serial killer who feeds on the experts in the most dangerous kind of black magic is an ancient, implacable evil that threatens her very soul.

My first review of The Good, The Bad, and The Undead
My Review:
Loved rereading this book! It was just so epic, and amazing, and I know it's been just over a year since I read it the first tine, but I've read so many other books since then, that the main thing about it is that it ended with her taking Piscary down with some clever dealing with Al! So yeah, it was a new adventure for me!

Splat gun! It's first real appearance, because it was mentioned that she should get something like it in Dead Witch Walking, and now she has one! Love the red splat gun, and the potions that she makes herself, that are kind of clues as to what she is!

Loved the mystery in this book, that they think that Trent did it, but then it turns out that they're killing people that Trent wants to hire, and this is putting a damper on those plans, plus framing him, which is pretty clever, but then he temporarily has Rachel. And yeah, knowing where those two are going, squee!

We get more hints of Nick's bastard ways, by the way that he hid the fact that he was talking with Al, and then Al's little thing that Nick's watch could break the circle. Which would be bad for everyone, having a demon that can walk around in the moonlight in our reality. Bad! And I feel bad for the ache that he's going to cause her, because she deserves much better!

So there were 2 important lines that I found, for future plot lines that I remember. "...my feet were hitting the rhythm of Takata's "Shattered Sight." and though I still couldn't really hear the music, the lyrics settled themselves deep into my head to drive me nuts. Sift the clues from the dust, from my lives, of my will./ I loved you them. I love you still." 10 to 1, he's talking about Rachel's mom! "Don't be modest. Rachel tapped the ley line the camp was built on and threw him thirty feet up." Ah, evidence of Rachel's extreme powers with ley lines, even without experience, which is some early proof, besides the sulphur in eggs and red wine thing, of her being a demon!

Favourite lines: "I'm wearing dead dinosaur. I can't wear a dead animal. It's barbaric, Rache." Yeah, that kinda does suck! "I told you, computers are like women. If you shout at them or ask them to do too many things at once, they shut down and you won't even get a sniff." This is a pretty apt comparison! "Jenks was a firefly from hell as he darted from Were to Were, brandishing pencils and throwing them at sensitive parts. a four-inch pixy was holding three Weres at bay." This is such a funny image! "I was dog chow. That's it. Dog chow. Game over. Hit the reset button." That doesn't sound too good! "A witch family lived next door when I was a kid. They had a girl my age. She hit me with just about everything a witch can do to a person. The saddest day of my life was when she moved away." Ah, little kid love! "...my eyebrows rose in that not a single officer made one ribal comment about a redhead in leather. But next to the screaming prostitute with purple hair and glow-in-the-dark chain running from her nose to somewhere under her shirt, we were probably invisible." Yeah, I think you would be! "...and no one calls the Humane Society at the sight of a loose dog, as it might be the neighbor's kid skipping school." Well, since they're skipping school, you'd think the parents would be a bit happy that their kid was contained in one place! "The kids...The pixy children are using it as a fort." That was nice of you to donate it, then! "What was it he made you do? A candy striper, right?" Yeah, best not to antagonize a vampire in her own home! "It had never failed her yet. She pulled her eyes up and put them on me. My mouth went dry. It had failed." Yeah, girl fight time! "Howdy, campers. I see Rachel told you about her run, huh, Ivy?" Yep. And no, it's not going well! "Rachel is dominant?" That is a reasonable question, as said "dominant" is getting strangled at the moment! "Relax, Mr. FIB officer. No one has died from a paint ball yet." Well, not that you know of! Someone might have been hit in the heart, and because of issues, died. But yeah. "Snatching the gun, I spun and pulled the trigger." If you didn't know about the splat gun, then you might think this might be scary action time! "You have the sensitivity of a dog in heat." Like, telling the girlfriend that the boyfriend is probably in a bad situation? Not sensitive! "Just you, me, and my splat gun." Ah, the trusty splat gun! "Don't get your falsies in a twist." Love! "You almost sound responsible, Kisten. Be careful, or you'll ruin your reputation." True, that! "I thought it was more to prove his boyfriend status than any attempt to show affection. Whatever." Love that whatever tacked onto the thought! "That's a nice little outfit. How long did it take to paint it on?" That's not very nice, but it's kinda funny! "I went home and prayed to the porcelain god for two hours straight." *Laughing* It's just pizza! What a tragedy that the virus didn't go into something like, peppers! "Hey, Ivy, pass me the clotted blood." Love them teasing Glenn! "I didn't know you became an FIB officer to better your reputation." Which is a crappy reason to join a police force! "Edden? He's more like a big kid's  meal." Well, I hope that they don't actually take it out of metaphor! "You don't want children before you're ready. You are practising safe sex, yes?" What an awkward question for a mom to ask her adult child in front of said kid's boyfriend! "It all looks and works the same, doesn't it?" Guess so! "It was one of those Make-a-Wish camps. They kicked me out when they figured out I wasn't dying anymore." Which sounds cold, but not the actual reason! "Threw him into a tree." This is awesome! Loved it! Especially since the one they're talking about is Trent! "Pity. I do so love to be young and testosterone laden." Of course you do! "Putting down 'dead body' seemed crass." Yeah, kinda is! "Oh, good. He's here." Yeah, being glad that a demon is there is weird! "Oh, look. A demon. This just keeps getting better and better." Seems that way! "I was pimping ketchup to the FIB's captain." This is just hilarious!

Yeah, this was a really awesome book, and it as just so good, and I must reread more till I get to The Witch With No Name, and then read that, because I really, really, really want to read it!

Author: Kim Harrison
Series: The Hollows #2
First Read: July 10th, 2013
Read: September 23rd, 2014
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: HarperTorch
Published: January 25th 2005
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!