Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 39 Review: Glass Heart

From Goodreads:
Wren can do things that other people can only dream of. Make it snow on a clear, crisp day. Fly through an abandoned tunnel. Bring a paper bird to life.

Wren knows her abilities are tinged with danger--knows how easy it is to lose control--but she can't resist the intoxicating rush. And now that she has Gabriel by her side, someone who knows what she can do--what she has done--she finally feels free to be herself.

But as Wren explores the possibilities of her simmering powers, Gabriel starts pushing her away. Telling her to be careful. Telling her to stop. The more he cautions her, the more determined Wren becomes to prove that she can handle things on her own. And by the time she realizes that Gabriel may be right, it could be too late to bring him back to her side.

My Review:
So this book deals with 3 things, I think. First, other people with power, especially with Bay and Fiona who may or may not use it for some bad things, and Jude who seems pretty good, warning Wren away from Bay, especially. Second, the truth about her dad, and what happened. Third, about Gabriel, and the headaches he has, the source of them, and more about himself, and his dad. Which we, and Wren, really needed!

I love how the cover is almost creating a scene from the book, Wren using smoke to create a balloon by blowing on it, and it looks like the cover model is blowing on the glass heart, so yeah, I really enjoyed that! Plus the cover is pretty!

I really enjoyed why her dad left-because he had power, but then it basically took him over, that it was a drug to him. And that being around other magic users-ie Wren's entire family-would tempt him into using it, and so that's why he had to leave. Which because Gabriel found that out before Wren did, that caused some problems, in how he acted towards her, and then when she found out. Yep.

And his dad, that he was a con man that used Gabriel's mom, then Gabriel, that was not nice for him, and yeah, his dad totally deserves to be in prison! And the one comment that Wren made, that she'd like to see his dad and Bay cage fight, because they were both pretty awful people!

The one thing that I didn't really like, was that Bay just ran away, and didn't have to deal with the consequences of his actions. Gabriel almost died, and the big thing was healing him-no big fighting the bad guy, which is too bad, but oh, well. I'm pretty glad where it ended. And hey, maybe this means we could get a 3rd book!

Favourite lines: "It's a little like walking into a snow globe before it's shaken, so perfectly Christmasy it's nauseating, until I spot the giant blow-up Santa in board shorts, holding a pina colada and waving from a porch roof a few houses down." That is pretty funny! "I think it was designed to torture prisoners of war." That is an over-exaggeration! Trig, from what I remember, was in the middle. Not too hard, not too easy. "I expected gravy. But I didn't expect my little sister to practically launch a rotten turkey into the room." Which would be bad, except that Gabriel and Olivia are in the know about magic, seeing his talents and such! "I assume you cheapskates-oh, I mean poor, starving students-want three forks, right?" Love this! Love the sarcasm! "I give it another half hour before a drunk sophomore tires to walk across the tarp." Which will not end well, even if it's Christmas, I bet the pool's heated! "Her shirt is half open, but since his hand is inside it, I figure she's probably plenty warm enough." Yeah, I'd think so! "Being wrong is a habit I'd really like to break." Yeah, that would be a good one to! "I think he and Robin would be pretty cute together, but maybe in a couple years. Like, five. Or nine." Talking about one of Dar's many siblings, it seems! (Older sister, Davina, then Dar, Dion, the he, Dex, then David, I think is the order they were born) And this is so cute! "Well, I never thought I'd see someone drive a car down subway tracks." and "I never thought I'd believe Rob Pattinson as an FBI agent. Still not sure I do, actually." and "I was just trying to figure out if it's physically possible to drive a Mini Cooper through the subway while you're bleeding out of your femoral artery." That must've been some movie! "...looking like every minute of his break was spent plotting either a new career path or ways to destroy us all." I'm guess the destroying! "Then there are the dreams where I'm running Bay out of town at the end of a flamethower, but I think that's just wishful thinking." Yeah, probably! "'We can starve together. It will be beautiful and tragic, and people will write songs about us.' 'With my luck, Katy Perry will write the song, and we'll die in glow-in-the-dark tracksuits.'" Yeah, this is too funny! "Maybe you can explain to her why summoning a living person is not ever the thing to do." Love this,  so much fun! "Not to mention the full force of everyone's power hurled at Gabriel like magical grenades. Peaceful, healing magical grenades anyway." That creates quite a weird picture! "I think she has a future as a spacecraft." I'd like to see that!

Yeah, this was a pretty great book, and I really enjoyed it! I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to get into it!

Author: Amy Garvey
Series: Cold Kiss #2
Read: September 26th, 2014
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Enjoyed book 1, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: September 18th 2012
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!