Saturday, February 7, 2015

Week 6 Review: Bound in Flames

From Goodreads:
Play with fire, pay the price.

Leila's years on the carnie circuit were certainly an education. What she didn't learn: how to be a vampire, or how to be married to the most famous vampire of them all. Adjusting to both has Leila teetering on a knife edge between passion and peril, and now the real danger is about to begin…

Vlad must battle with a centuries-old enemy whose reach stretches across continents and whose strength equals his own. It isn't like Vlad to feel fear, but he does…for Leila, because his enemy knows she is Vlad's greatest weakness. As friend and foe alike align against him—and his overprotectiveness drives Leila away—Vlad's love for his new bride could be the very thing that dooms them both…

My Review:
I loved reading this book so much! It was just so freaking great, the stakes are raised, and yeah, finding, and ending, Szilagyi. Because that seriously needs to happen, seeing what happened in this book!

So I really loved how Leila and Vlad grew in their relationship, they were a little bit rocky at first, what with him covering her with his aura so she couldn't use her impressions gift. But they got through that, and then the guilt Leila had for what she did, and knew what she would do, to get more blood. But Vlad's like, survival first. Guilt, last. So yeah, that was really great!

Like we needed any proof that Szilagyi was pure evil, this book gave us even more proof! Like when he had captured Leila, he has her skinned, tears off her arm, and then has the idea to rape her. Though Maximus helped by pretending to. Still traumatizing!

Leila's inner voice, the evilness, Leila made some pretty great strides in defeating it! It's given her terrible advice since she was young, and then she was all "you're dead" and Vlad thought she was talking to him, and yeah, that was a bit funny! So I hope that soon, that voice will be dead, because it made some pretty bad remarks even after that!

Something that was dealt with, too, was Vlad's guilt over his wife's death. And Szilagyi made an offhand comment that he'd killed Vlad's first wife, so yeah, that guilt was really something that he dealt with, so I'm glad how that all ends!

And finally, we learn more about Vlad's wives and marriages, and yeah, that turns out to be pretty important, what with the whole Szilagyi's power guy, is! And the fact that Szilagyi is/was actually Vlad's father-in-law, Vlad's second wife's dad. Gah!

Favourite lines: "Because he didn't know I'm your wife." Nope, and that's why he got burned! "Add in Vlad being a centuries-old conqueror who'd earned the nickname 'the Impaler' when he was human, and you had someone far scarier than Bram Stoker's fictional version." Most definitely! "'I'll take that,' Vlad said coolly, and dripped the Joker's hand off with a single, brutal twist." Yeah, don't do bad things at Vlad's parties! "You'll get a lot more of 'no' RSVPs to your next party." Yeah, agreed, since he just blew the guy up! "I didn't bother bidding anyone good night. After Vlad slammed the ballroom door behind us, it would have been redundant anyway." That's too bad! "H'd already toasted the Joker; wouldn't he be over the ass-grab by now?" Well, it is Vlad! "No wonder he treated our marriage like a war he had to win." I wonder how long it'll take for him to realize the truth? Probably the majority, or at least a good part, of the book! "Compromise Lesson One: Pull a dick move, and your dick gets denied. Every woman knew that, and now, so did the vampire sitting next to me." I hope we get all the lessons! "Compromise Lesson Two involved Vlad doing something he didn't like for the greater good of our marriage. I didn't know what yet, but I'd figure it out. Hopefully soon, because Lesson One sucked." Yeah, seeing that the opposite is a big part of your relationship! "Because of my promise to Leila, I can't kill you, so I may as well get some use out of you being alive." That is very practical! "You're Dracula, so everyone knows your enemies don't live long, but my dad and I are still locked up, so whoever is yanking you chain must be the king of badasses. The only person I know who fits that description is the same old vampire you couldn't kill before." Very astute reasoning! "...if someone here so much as gives you an uneasy vibe, have them thrown into the dungeon. I'll sort it out once I return." I just love this! "Want to party with a former pharaoh who doesn't need to count cards because he can read minds?" That's an awesome use of the gift! "Couldn't he see that I had to cut my head off? Right now?" Well, there goes another kill if linked going! "You yanked wraiths out of the bones of slain men and you summoned the ferryman of the underworld to do your bidding, yet this is beyond you?" Yeah, seems a bit weird, but there's always bad guys with new and bad powers! "Pay her no mind. She always argues with me when I propose to her." Yes, she always does, it seems! "I saw a documentary on the death penalty that mentioned him, among other inmates. It was late, you were asleep, and there was nothing else on." Not what one would expect Vlad to watch! "I want a hardened man, not a mass-murdering, pathologically vengeful one. There's only room for one of those in my line right now, and that's me." Very true! "Your personal discomfort means nothing to me, Hugh...wait, that's not true. I enjoy it." Oh, Vlad, needling him isn't helping the situation! "Killing is kind of your husband's thing, or haven't you brothered to Google 'Vlad Dracul' yet?" Well, she doesn't need to! "And I will not let you die after I soiled my mouth with yours breathing air into your lungs." Yeah, be grateful to be alive, Hugh! "Samir let out a strangled noise, as if he'd almost swallowed his tongue. The former Janissary who'd so impressed Vlad with his fighting skills that Vlad had made Samir part of his line, even when Vlad had hated 'Turks,' apparently couldn't handle the thought of Gretchen as a vampire. Guess there were some things that were too frightening even for a five-hundred-year-old  vampire who'd captained the Sutlan's guard as well as Vlad the Impaler's." Yeah. 'nuff said! "'Go.' 'I can't. The floor's molten rock and you caved in the only way out. 'Rather ruins the moment, doesn't it.'" Yeah, kinda! "I am responsible for the Dracula hype." Oh, Vlad, really? Well, that kinda explains things! "...but I thought thought it would fade into obscurity as most literary works did. Instead, it kept growing in popularity and growing until over a century later, it's infected every form of media ever invented-" Making even more sense!

This was such a fantastic, amazing book, and now I can't wait for the 4th, and probably final, book in the series, but I'll have to, because the back of this one said it wouldn't come out till 2016!

Author: Jeaniene Frost
Series: Night Prince #3
Read: February 6th, 2015
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Love this series! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Book, WoW Book and a WR Reward Book!
Publisher: Avon
Published: January 27th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!