Saturday, November 7, 2015

Week 45 Review: The Diabolical Miss Hyde

From Goodreads:
Magic, mystery, and romance mix in this edgy retelling of the classic The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde–in which Dr. Eliza Jekyll is the daughter of the infamous Henry

In an electric-powered Victorian London, Dr. Eliza Jekyll is a crime scene investigator, hunting killers with inventive new technological gadgets. Now, a new killer is splattering London with blood, drugging beautiful women and slicing off their limbs. Catching "the Chopper" could make Eliza's career—or get her burned. Because Eliza has a dark secret. A seductive second self, set free by her father's forbidden magical elixir: wild, impulsive Lizzie Hyde.

When the Royal Society sends their enforcer, the mercurial Captain Lafayette, to prove she's a sorceress, Eliza must resist the elixir with all her power. But as the Chopper case draws her into London's luminous, magical underworld, Eliza will need all the help she can get. Even if it means getting close to Lafayette, who harbors an evil curse of his own.

Even if it means risking everything and setting vengeful Lizzie free . . .

My Review:
So it was really fantastic to read this book! And it's really only luck that I did, that I got a chance to be a part of the review tour for the second book, meaning that I just had to read this one! And I'm so glad that I did, because this was just an epic book!

I loved the mystery, there were a few moving pieces that made it seem at first like there were multiple mysteries, but that was just part of the complexity of this book, and that made it just so great to read! So awesome!

Then there were the characters. Dr. Eliza Jekyll, and Miss Lizzie Hyde, both stuck in one body that only one of them could be in charge of at one time. Which made for some complications, especially when you add Captain Lafayette!

Finally, this world of automations, and science just starting to become what it is today, and with the Royal Society who wants to keep science-and so called "magic" securely monitored, well, it made for really devastatingly good reading!

Loved this book, and with the threads that were left loose, I can't wait to see how things might be resolved in the next book!

Author: Viola Carr
Series: Electric Empire #1
Read: November 2nd, 2015
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: I'm going to be part of a review tour for the sequel so I had to read it! And it's a 2015 Retelling Reading Challenge, Historical Fiction 2015 Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Book!
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Published: February 10th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. This was an awesome book. So glad that you liked it as well. I hope you like the sequel.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was really, really great! I enjoyed it so much! And I loved the sequel! So great and awesome, I can't wait for the 3rd book! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

      Delete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!