Saturday, January 7, 2023

Week 1 Review: Shadowhunters and Downworlders

From Goodreads:
Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series, epic urban fantasy set in a richly imagined world of shadowhunters, vampires, werewolves, fairies, and more, has captured the imaginations and loyalty of hundreds of thousands of YA readers. Originally a trilogy (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass), the series has extended to six titles, plus a prequel trilogy, the Infernal Devices, and a planned sequel series, the Dark Artifices. A feature film is planned for 2013.

Shadowhunters and Downworlders, edited by Clare (who provides an introduction to the book and to each piece), is a collection of YA authors writing about the series and its world.
Authors Who Contributed: Holly Black / Kendare Blake / Gwenda Bond / Sarah Rees Brennan / Rachel Caine / Sarah Cross / Kami Garcia / Michelle Hodkin / Kelly Link / Kate Milford / Diana Peterfreund / Sara Ryan / Scott Tracey / Robin Wasserman

My Review:
Well, this wasn't what I was expecting! Reading back over the synopsis, it does say "writing about the series and it's world" but I thought that this would be stories set in this world. But it's actually essays, not stories, writing about this world. So if it's not totally non-fiction, because it's writing about a fictional world (I don't know, non-fiction is not my strong point) it's very close.

So when I was reading the first author's offering, I was like, is this in-world story? But then I finished, and that's when I realized that it wasn't a story. So that was a bit confusing, on top of it being about uncanny, and about cities, things that just kinda went over my head. 

The fact that these were written by fans of the series, talking about parts that they found most significant to them, that was a really great part of this book. Which made up for the fact that this wasn't stories in this world. Ah, well! 

Some of these authors wrote things that really added depth to the series. I'm not Jewish, so Michelle Hodkin's part about Simon and the role that he plays was so fascinating. It was things like that was the reason why I read all the extras that I know about, so I can have all the details that it's possible for me to know! 

I had a good time reading this anthology, and I can't wait to read the rest of what's been currently published for the Shandhunters world! 

Authors: Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Kendare Blake, Gwenda Bond, Sarah Rees Brennan, Rachel Caine, Sarah Cross, Kami Garcia, Michelle Hodkin, Kelly Link, Kate Milford, Diana Peterfreund, Sara Ryan, Scott Tracey, Robin Wasserman
Series: Shadowhunter Chronicles 
Read: January 6th, 2023
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Love this world, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book!
Publisher: BenBella Books, Inc.
Published: January 29th 2013
4/5 Hearts
0/5 Books
1/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!