Saturday, June 20, 2015

Week 25 Review: The Secrets We Keep

From Goodreads:
A girl takes over her twin sister's identity in this emotionally charged page-turner about the complicated bond between sisters.

Ella and Maddy Lawton are identical twins. Ella has spent her high school years living in popular Maddy's shadows, but she has never been envious of Maddy. In fact, she's chosen the quiet, safe confines of her sketchbook over the constant battle for attention that has defined Maddy's world.

When—after a heated argument—Maddy and Ella get into a tragic accident that leaves her sister dead, Ella wakes up in the hospital surrounded by loved ones who believe she is Maddy. Feeling responsible for Maddy's death and everyone's grief, Ella makes a split-second decision to pretend to be Maddy. Soon, Ella realizes that Maddy's life was full of secrets. Caught in a web of lies, Ella is faced with two options—confess her deception or live her sister's life. 

My Review:
Reading this book was really great! I wanted to know more about these girls, and the lives that they were living, just because they were twins, didn't mean that they were carbon copies of each other! And while I thought that Maddy's secrets were going to be a bit darker, more life-threatening, well, what they really were, made sense! And I really enjoyed reading on how Ella dealt with them!

To think you're responsible for your sibling's death, that would be pretty terrible. But for your sibling to be your identical twin, with people unable to tell the two of your apart besides a mole that didn't exist anymore...yeah. So in that way, it was easy for Ella to be Maddy. But in all other ways, it wasn't!

Ella thought that because it was her fault that her sister died, that she would bury herself, and live Maddy's life. Because she thought that her sister was loved more, that they preferred Maddy to Ella. Of course she was wrong, the fault thing, and the preferred thing, they loved both sisters!

I really enjoyed the way Ella came out. Because she told the truth, and let people know, and then yeah, she ran away, but it lead to a pretty funny exchange there in the end that I enjoyed immensely, and that I hope you guys do, too!

Favourite lines: "'Hi.' 'This is Ella. Ella, these are your parents.' 'Nice to have you back. I'm your father and this lovely lady standing next to me is your mom.'" This is just so sweet, and just a really great moment! "Okay. If it is that important to you then I will find a way to make it stick, even if it means holding it up there myself all year." Having him in her room all year? Pretty sweet!

This was a really terrific book, and I enjoyed it a lot!

Author: Trisha Leaver
Read: June 15th, 2015
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded like a really great book! And it's a SAC 2015 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Published: April 28th 2015
4.5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!