Friday, January 12, 2018

Death Island: Review

From Goodreads:
Her family name tainted by her great-grandfather's crimes of piracy, Meriden Cummings is far from the typical 18th century woman. A social outcast, she works in a carpentry shop in a small village, where the people barely tolerate unconventional behavior.

However, her life takes a turn after a gang of pirates attack her village and her blood reveals an ancient map adorned with Mayan glyphs leading to Death Island. An island legends say is ruled by the Mayan god of the underworld, Ah Puch. Her great-grandfather had sought after the island before he vanished without a trace. Now, Meriden is about to journey across the sea to understand her family history.

There are only a few problems: her growing feelings toward a mysterious stranger linked to her great-grandfather's past; a greedy band of pirates after her great-grandfather's legendary treasure; and a contract she has unwittingly signed in blood with Ah Puch himself.

My Review:
Oh, yeah, this book was so fantastic! I made a lot of comparisons to Pirates of the Caribbean, especially in the beginning, a small-ish town under attack by pirates? Because they need a citizen because of something their ancestors did? Yeah.

First off, I want to get my one complaint off my chest. The writing was just a little bit over-much, sometimes, a bit wordy and awkward, that feeling of making it more complicated than it has to be. Other then that, I just have praises for this book!

There was both romance and adventure in this book! With pirates, what else can you expect? But I also enjoyed these characters and who they were, their stories, they were interesting and different! And it made me want to read about them!

That ending, that was just a little bit creepy! What with Ah Puch watching them, and knowing their future...yeah, that gave me the shivers! But even more so, what happened to the body of the Captain! Wow, that was a nightmare!

I enjoyed reading this book a lot, it was just really enjoyable!

Author: Kelsey Ketch
Read: January 10th, 2018
Source: Good Choice Reading Promotions Review Copy
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Historical Fiction 2018 Book and a SAC 2018 Book!
Publisher: Kelsey Ketch
Published: December 31st 2017
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars
Bio:
Kelsey Ketch is a young-adult/new-adult author, who works as a Wildlife Biologist in the state of North Carolina. During her free time, she can often be found working on her latest work in progress or organizing the New Adult Scavenger Hunt, a biannual blog hop. She also enjoys history, mythology, traveling, and reading.

Contact and Buy AKA Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!