Saturday, November 17, 2012

Week 46 Review: She Loves You, She Loves You Not

From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Alyssa thought she knew who she was. She had her family and her best friends and, most important, she had Sarah. Sarah, her girlfriend, with whom she dreamed with about the day they could move far away and live out and proud and accepted for themselves, instead of having to hide their relationship. 

Alyssa never thought she would have to make that move by herself, but disowned by her father and cut off from everyone she loves, she is forced to move hundreds of miles away to live with Carly, the biological mother she barely knows, in a town where everyone immediately dismisses her as "Carly's girl." As Alyssa struggles to forget her past and come to terms with her future, will she be able to build a new life for herself and believe in love again? Or will she be forced to relive the mistakes that have cost her everything and everyone she cared about?

My Review:
I enjoyed reading this book. It won't be for everybody, because it depicts a family that isn't accepting of a lesbian daughter, and it has a lesbian relationship. Which could possibly offend both camps. But something about the writing, for me, unfortunately, I didn't enjoy so much.

It was just hard to connect with Alyssa, because sure, I've had my ups and downs with my family, and even was kicked out of the house for under half a night, I haven't gone through what she has. And if this was a different book, then I probably could've connected. Which sucks. I do want to enjoy every book I read-there's just so many to read, and I don't want to use my time reading a book that I don't like!

It really sucks that people are narrow minded like that. There's nothing wrong with being homosexual, because it's a part of who the person is, not something that they choose. Unless it's someone who's going through phases, and it's not permanent. But that's something else. And to be treated like that, sucks!

And what Sarah did, that was pretty awful. She pretty much broke Alyssa's life (though in the end, Alyssa ended up with a better one!) and then she basically pretended that it didn't happen. That sucks. But Alyssa got a happy ending, so that was really great!

I enjoyed this book, it was pretty great! So a bit of a high point with all these other books that I didn't like so much!

Author: Julie Anne Peters
Read: November 16th, 2012
Source: Library
Reason Why: Sounded like a great book!
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: May 11th 2011
5/5 Hearts
3.5/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!