Saturday, November 3, 2012

Week 44 Review: Flutter

From Goodreads:
All Emery Land wants is to be like any other 17-year-old—to go to school, hang out with her friends, and just be normal. But for as long as she can remember, she's suffered from seizures. And in recent years they've consumed her life. To Emery they're much more than seizures, she calls them loops—moments when she travels through wormholes back and forth in time and to a mysterious town. The loops are taking their toll on her physically. So she practically lives in the hospital where her scientist father and an ever-growing team of doctors monitor her every move. They're extremely interested in the data they collect when Emery seizes. It appears that she's tapping into parts of the brain typically left untouched by normal human beings.

Escaping from the hospital, Emery travels to Esperanza, the town from her loops on the upper peninsula of Michigan, where she meets Asher Clarke. Ash's life is governed by his single-minded pursuit of performing good Samaritan acts to atone for the death of a loved one. His journey is very much entwined with Emery's loops. 

Drawn together they must unravel their complicated connection before it's too late.

My Review:
This was a pretty great book! It's too bad that I didn't enjoy it, because I had some pretty great hopes of really liking it, and there were just a touch too many flaws for me to really, truly, 80% enjoy it. And that sucks, but nothing to do about it!

The idea of her flutters, that she was using more of her brain, and was seeing this town, well, that was really interesting! And the way that it was explored, first scientifically, and then in person, well, that was really fantastic!

For me, there were two big twists. The first one, I guessed something, and I was half right. Which meant that I was half wrong, but I loved where it went there! And then the other one, I didn't know it was coming, so that was a really great twist!

But oh, that ending! That was a pretty sad ending, and a good ending, it was heading there, and it sucks that it was, but it was just so well written, that even though it was sad, I couldn't help but like it! Really great ending!

I enjoyed this book, it was really great to read!

Author: Gina Linko
Read: October 27th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded like an excellent book, and it's a DAC book!
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Published: October 23rd 2012
5/5 Hearts
2.5/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!