Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Paper or Plastic: Review

From Goodreads:
Welcome to SmartMart, where crime pays minimum wage... 

Busted. Alexis Dubois just got caught shoplifting a cheap tube of lipstick at the local SmartMart. She doesn't know what's worse—disappointing her overbearing beauty-pageant-obsessed mother for the zillionth time…or her punishment. Because Lex is forced to spend her summer working at the store, where the only things stranger than the staff are the customers.

Now Lex is stuck in the bizarro world of big-box retail. Coupon cutters, jerk customers, and learning exactly what a "Code B" really is (ew). And for added awkwardness, her new supervisor is the totally cute—and adorably geeky—Noah Grayson. Trying to balance her out-of-control mother, her pitching position on the softball team, and her secret crush on the school geek makes for one crazy summer. But ultimately, could the worst job in the world be the best thing that ever happened to her?

My Review:
So yeah, I really enjoyed this book! It was nice and light, and the pages just flew by, I wanted to read about Lex and Noah, and how her job is at SmartMart when the crazies that work there, and the ones that shop there.

So Lex makes a bad choice, mostly to spite her mom, and I can see that, she's a teenager, and her mom seems to care more about her younger child, Aurora, because she likes, and wants to do, the pageants. Like beauty is everything!

I really enjoyed these characters, from Lex, the pretty popular girl who loves softball, and dreams of being on the Olympics team if it's brought back. Noah, the guy who supposedly told on a friend of Lex's, causing him to be kicked off the team. Noah, who's her boss. And so many others, they had their quirks, but they were really great!

Her boss, he was kinda the best! I mean, his son got into trouble, and he decided he didn't want these two girls to have the same trouble, offering them jobs. And he knew that Jack was the prankster, but let him keep going. And he was fine with Lex and Noah dating! And he did pretty well when the tornado came through!

Favourite lines: "'You can't stack boxes of food like that. What are you thinking?' 'I'm sorry. I’ll pick it up.'  'Told you. You didn't build it with enough support at the bottom. Way too easy.'" That's not being a very good manager, Noah! "About twenty packages of toilet paper later, I decided she either
had major bowel issues or she felt the need to TP someone's house. I really hoped for the latter." Yeah, me, too! "No, I'm clocking in for the second time today, just for fun. Can't get enough of this place." Yeah, question with an obvious answer! "All the kids who aren't in the pool must be in this
hallway." It seems that way, because they keep interrupting you two! So cute! "'Those women are so,
like, "I don't care if I'm pulling your hair. You better smile and like it!"' 'Oh,, yes, you will get spray-tanned so you can look unnaturally natural!' 'I forgot your blush in the room. Pinch your cheeks
until they bleed!' 'Stick these spiders on your eyes so you can have nice, long eyelashes.' 'Get yourself on camera ASAP. I want to make sure they know how horrible I am.' 'You lost your front teeth? Put these fake teeth in so you can look like Great-Grandma.' 'Oh, but you'd look sooo cute with those pretty fake teeth. Sooo cute.'" I love the variety of insults for the pageantry stuff!

This was a really fantastic book, and I enjoyed it a lot!

Author: Vivi Barnes
Read: February 7th, 2015
Source: YA Bound Review Copy
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a SAC 2015 Book!
Publisher: Entangled: Teen
Published: February 3rd 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars
Bio:
Vivi Barnes is the author of Olivia Twisted and the upcoming release, Paper or Plastic. She was raised on a farm in East Texas where her theater-loving mom and cowboy dad gave her a unique perspective on life. Now living in the magic and sunshine of Orlando, Florida, she divides her time writing, working, goofing off with her husband and three kids, and avoiding dirty dishes. www.vivibarnes.com

Contact and Buy AKA Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!