Saturday, November 15, 2014

Week 46 Review: The Bespelled

From Goodreads:
This mind-blowing anthology cracks open the lid on demonic lore, from the possessed to fallen angels and the Devil himself. The next book in Black Dog's supernatural series, Demons presents thirty-six terrifying, tantalizing tales in which evil spirits wreak havoc on the world. Neil Gaiman, William Peter Blatty, Kim Harrison and Robert R. McCammon join H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Beaumont, Bentley Little, Maggie Stiefvator, Danielle Trussoni, David J. Schow, Karl Edward Wagner, Richard Christian Matheson, Adram-Troy Castro, Amelia Beamer, Cody Goodfellow, Carlton Mellick III, and dozens more, both old and new. Horror legend John Skipp, editor of Zombies and Werewolves and Shapeshifters, provides fascinating insight into the history and details of demon lore, and its role in popular culture. Between the extensive resource materials and the lovingly selected stories - ranging from fantasy, horror, paranormal romance, and magic realism to full-blown Bizarro - Demons is an indispensable text, and the most fun you'll ever have with the forces of evil.

My Review:
Ah, I loved this short story so much! I only read The Bespelled in this anthology, because I didn't actually have Demons, I had the short story in the back of my copy of The Outlaw Demon Wails, so yeah, it was the only one that I could read!

It was pretty awesome to be in Al's POV, because he's been a character in the series since the beginning, that I can remember, the only book that he isn't in, is A Fistful of Charms, though there could be 1 or 2 more others that he wasn't it. I'll have to reread them to know! And the fact that the outfit that he commonly uses in the series, in this story, he doesn't like it? I think Ceri has part of the reason why he uses it mainly in the series! And the mention of the blue butterfly! That it's associated to Ceri in his mind?  These are things we needed to know, and we got them!

Yeah, it was fascinating of the start of his story and Ceri's, because of it, he teaches Ceri a lot that she goes on to teach Rachel, things that are extremely helpful. And while this leads to him putting 1000 years of imbalance on her soul, well, it wouldn't be a book if people didn't have problems!

And that ending? That it would take 1000 years for someone to have more talent? It's funny, because it was written (I think) after the first 6 books in the series, so we know that it takes 1000 years for Rachel to come around, and yeah, that's just great!

Really enjoyed this short story a lot, can't wait to have Al's POV again in the short story set after The Witch With No Name!!!

Author: Kim Harrison
Series: The Hollows #6.1
Read: November 14th, 2014
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Reading this whole series!
Publisher:Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers
Published: September 21st 2011
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!