Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 47 Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

From Goodreads:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.
My first review of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
My Review:
Oh, how I enjoyed rereading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer! It was just so fantastic, amazing, and since it's been just around a year since I read Evolution, I remembered almost none of the details about this book except that Jude was alive. Yeah.

So loved diving into this world again, and combined with just the fantastic writing, the pages just flew, to the point where I started reading Evolution right after, even though I was behind on my schedule. I eventually pulled myself away, but yeah. It happened.

Noah. There's not much to say about him, except that he's pretty perfect. I read somewhere, that the author had Noah, and that he knew his flaws, and excepted them, and just lived with them. And yeah, that self-confidence is just mesmerizing!

That ending! I knew that Jude was alive, but just having it happen, it was just so great! So awesome, and thrilling, and dark! Because there's the whole question of how he survived, and why Rachel and Claire didn't!

Favourite lines: "I wanted to shepherd Roxanne to freedom, to deliver her from our kitchen and lead her to a land flowing with the blood of myriad flying insects. A land otherwise known as our backyard." Ah, spiders. I would've killed it! "Anna used to be the abstinence poster girl, but post-Shaw, you could write a comic book about the many adventures of her vagina. It could wear a cape." That would be very strange! "Jaime wouldn't stand a chance in a knife fight with Aiden Davis is all Aiden had was a roll of toilet paper." So their opposites, and Aiden is stronger. That sucks! "No, I mean asscrown. The crown on top of the asshat that covers the asshole of the assclown. The very zenith in the hierarchy of asses." Very true! "'You've wounded me to the core with your profane characterization.' 'Pass the tissues.'" Because Noah Shaw can't be shy, not at all! "Take Anna, for example. She's only a few IQ points above a corpse, and yet she sullies our Algebra II with her stupidity." Yeah, she's pretty awful! "'I've already learned Parseltongue. What else is there?" 'Elvish.'" Well, wouldn't he learned that first, seeing as it's been around longer? "I'm a vain bastard, and Mara indulges me. I'm just glad you didn't get your greedy little claws on the other sketchbook. That would have been embarrassing." And of course your mind goes to the gutter there, if said sketchbook existed! "What could I say? Noah, despite you being an asshole, or maybe because of it, I'd like to rip off your clothes and have your babies. Don't tell." Yeah, probably can't say that! "How about the part where Shaw declared to practically the entire school that you'd been using him to practice your nudes?" A lie, of course, but one to save her from embarrassment, which was nice! "'You're so f**king patronizing.' 'You have such a filthy mouth.' 'Does it bother you?' 'Not in the least.'" Well, that didn't do what she wanted! "'Aren't they the ones that let all of those lab monkeys out of their cages and they spread this virus that turns people into zombies...?' 'I think that's a movie.'" Well, hopefully, the zombie apocalypse would be pretty hard to deal with! "This is like a set. For some mafia movie. Or a tacky wedding venue. Or...Annie." So not a house. Which sucks, since people live in it! "'The Joy of...crap.' 'I have never read The Joy of Crap. Sounds disgusting. I have however, read The Joy of Sex.'" Yeah, make fun of her surprise at the title! "Katie and I were so close together that I think they were hoping my mother would go on maternity leave from civil disobedience." That doesn't sound likely! "'Why, Noah, do you know the word for vagina in every language?' 'Because I'm European, and therefore more cultured than you.'" Uh, how is that cultured? It's only one word of those languages, which doesn't give depth! "'Did. You. Have. Fun?' 'That's. Not. The Point.'" That would not be fun to talk that way for long! "I just sat there and started at him for five minutes, and he sad there and stared back for five minutes. Then he told me to try and learn to play well with others during my two-day suspension, and sent me on my merry way." Only Noah! "'Not speaking of that, was I.' 'Why are you Yodda-ing me this morning?'" Star Wars will never get old! "'Have you kissed many boys before?' 'Boys? That's an assumption.' 'Girls, then?' 'No.' 'Not may girls? Or not many boys?' 'Neither.' 'How many?" 'Why-' 'I am taking away that word. You are no longer allowed to use it. How many?' 'One.'" Which is why she has a bad opinion on kissing! "Noah was in the process of unbuttoning his shirt. Sweet Jesus. He pulled his tie loose. My female classmates tittered. He lifted the hem of this T-shirt up. Good-bye, dignity. If Noah heard the girls, he made no indication." There was talking, but I'm too lazy to type it! But I bet you can guess which class this was for! "Oh my God, if it isn't my baby sister. Here, in this very cafeteria!" No need to use the sarcasm! "Um, I think your brother might be waving at you. That, or trying to guide a plane to safety." Hopefully not the plane, seeing as there's no landing stripes in a school! "No. You tore your clothes off and then ran through the house screaming 'It burns! Take it off us!'" Which is both better, and worse! "Fret not, you were actually very modest in your intoxicated state. You undressed in the bathroom, wrapped yourself in a towel, crawled between my sheets, and slept.' 'What the hell?" 'You were convinced they were your pets. You wouldn't le me touch them.'" Well, crackers of animals come close, I guess! "'Taken care of. You're at Sophie's house.' I loved Sophie. 'So I'm...staying her?' 'Daniel's covering for you.' I loved Daniel. 'Where's Katie?' 'Eliza's house.' I loved Eliza. 'And your parents?' 'Some charity thing.' I loved charity.'" Because basically, they're in his house, all alone, accounted for some place other then where they are! "Noah responded by defiling Dr. Seuss. One Fish, Two First, Red Fish, Blue Fish became an instructional rhyme on fellatio." That is very not nice of him!

This was just such a great, fantastic book, loved rereading it, and I can't wait to reread Evolution, and read Retribution! It's going to be fantastic, I just know it!

Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #1
First Read: November 21st-22nd, 2011
Read: November 17th, 2014
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing
Published: September 27th 2011
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!