Saturday, November 29, 2014

Week 48 Review: White Witch, Black Curse

From Goodreads:
White Witch, Black Curse

Some wounds take time to heal...and some scars never fade.

Rachel Morgan, kick-ass witch and bounty hunter, has taken her fair share of hits, and has broken lines she swore she would never cross. But when her lover was murdered, it left a deeper wound than Rachel ever imagined, and now she won't rest until his death is solved...and avenged. Whatever the cost.

Yet the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and when a new predator moves to the apex of the Inderland food chain, Rachel's past comes back to haunt her.

Literally.

My first review of White Witch, Black Curse
My Review:
It was so great to reread this book! I mean, because I got to read the short story in Dates from Hell when Mia meets with Ivy, and then Hotter Than Hell, which Mia actually narrates, and then to read her story where she's the bad guy, yeah, that was just fantastic!

So I did take a bit getting into this book, because when I last read it, it was on my nook, or computer, and now I have a physical copy, and I can actually tell easily how many pages there were, and that daunted me a bit. But I got through it, and just enjoyed rereading this book!

The whole thing with Ford, with the finding of Kisten's killer, and then helping Ford with him sensing emotion all the time, yeah, I enjoyed how that wrapped up, it was just so perfect, and I'm pretty sure this is one resolution that doesn't come back to bite her like almost every other one! And then there's the Pierce thing, and the Junior's thing, because this is the first book where she starts to apprehend someone there!

I read somewhere that Kim Harrison purposely wrote that conclusion to Kisten's killer plot line to be dissatisfying, that sense of that there was nothing that they could do, and yeah, that came across quite clearly, and yeah, it was sad, and unresolved, and yet, so, because he was dead and they didn't get to punish him.

Favourite lines: "Green shag carpet. This might be why Mr. Tilson was nuts. It would make me nuts." I have nothing against shag, but I don't like the colour green too much! "Looking at everything, I started to feel nauseous, as if the seventies had taken refuge here against extinction and were preparing to take over the world." Which would suck, because the 00's would fight back, it'd be a Decade vs. Decade World War! "When we'd moved in, I had the use of one end of it. Now I was lucky if I got a corner to eat on. So of course I'd taken over the rest of the kitchen." Of course! "Realizing that he was singing to get it to turn on, I flicked the switch. Jenks exploded into gold sparkles and collapsed, giggling." Singing to turn on the lamp? So cute! "Leave it to a vamp to slice her bagel with a ceremonial device designed for black magic." Yep, leave it to Ivy! "And you're Farcus, rhymes with Marcus, another lame-ass vampire." Yeah, that's annoying for Rachel to have him block her! "...knowing if I played the ignorant, he might give in,, He knew I wasn't ignorant, but he liked it when I pretended, as if I could manipulate him, Which I could, so who was smarter after all?" You, Rachel! ''Why does everyone think he's my boyfriend?' 'Not your lover?' 'No.' 'But he is Rachel candy.'" Even Al thinks Pierce is for Rachel! So funny! "Damn my dame! I knew it! Not another list!" Al's learning! So cute!

Enjoyed rereading this book so much, and I can't wait to keep going! I'm so close to The Witch With No Name!!!

Author: Kim Harrison
Series: The Hollows #7
First Read: August 10th, 2013
Read: November 28th, 2014
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 book!
Publisher: Eos
Published: February 24th 2009
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!