Saturday, November 29, 2014

Week 48 Reviews: The Evolution of Mara Dyer, The Retribution of Mara Dyer


From Goodreads:
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can't.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren't.

She couldn't imagine that after everything she's been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She's wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

From Goodreads:
Mara Dyer wants to believe there's more to the lies she's been told.
There is.

She doesn't stop to think about where her quest for the truth might lead.
She should.

She never had to imagine how far she would go for vengeance.
She will now.

Loyalties are betrayed, guilt and innocence tangle, and fate and chance collide in this shocking conclusion to Mara Dyer's story.


Retribution has arrived.

My first review of The Evolution of Mara Dyer
My Review:
I enjoyed reading these books so much, because between the release dates, there were big gaps between me reading these books, so yeah, it was just excellent to read them all so close together! And yeah, just reinforced my love of this series!

All the trials that these 2 go through, yeah, it's a wonder that they aren't more scarred by everything, that they even survived! And yeah, that ending of Evolution, with the thought that Noah maybe didn't make it. But since we have him in the end, it's all good!

Then there's the families, of Mara, of Noah, and Jude. And all the mysteries there. And the connections. I mean, between the charms that both Noah's mom had, and Mara's grandmother, yeah, that's like, just the tip of the iceberg! Knowing just how connected Mara's family and the Shaw's are!

One thing, when they were watching Dr. Kell videos, that they automatically went to her being Jude and Claire's mom, when she said that her maiden name was Lowe, which, if she hadn't been adopting, would've made her their aunt, not mom. Yeah.

And the ending! It's kinda similar to the ending in Afterglow, where the books were published, and it ended with the start of the first book, this one had that too, and yeah, that was just fantastic, I really enjoyed bringing that all around!

Favourite lines from The Evolution of Mara Dyer: "You gave a child, in a psych ward, a lighter." That's a smart thing to do if you want a distraction! "'You like them. As people.' 'As opposed to..furniture.'" Well, seeing parents as people is weird! "This is where the priviledged send their screwed-up progeny; no gluing macaroni to construction paper fo us. They only let us create with ricciolini here." Yeah, big difference! "How about an Obi-Wan slash Gandal slash Dumbledore slash Giles?" That's a big combination of help the hero types! "Says the person who just tried to pin this on growth hormones in mile. Seriously?" Yeah, why go blame the milk? "Joseph didn't want to kill any fish, though he seems to have no problem killing-you bastard." I'm going to guess the sentence was originally going to end with something alone the lines of, "my avatar in the game" going from the ending that it got! "John's been working with a security firm so secure that it doesn't have a name for-how long, again, John?" Doesn't have a name? Then how do you refer to it? "'I wish I had you room.' 'It's not a terrible consolation prize, I'll admit.' 'I wish we could make out in your bed.' 'As do I, but I'm afraid we have a ritual burning to conduct.'" Yeah, it sucks! "I would wholly embrace and mirror your disdain, but I have to say, of all the useless garbage he bleeds money on, that's the one I'm not at all sorry about. No lines. No security misery. No rush." That sounds pretty great! "'I was just going to say it reminds me of the symbols on a family crest.' 'We're not related.' 'I now, but-' 'Don't even think it.'" Yeah, it would be a real Clary/Jace situation! So glad that Noah's the smart one on that! "I'm not sure you can appreciate how much I want to lay you out before me and make yo scream my name." And "Maybe I'll make you scream mine." This is awesome banter! "I successfully avoided mentioning any of my real (and valid) fears of the Jude and supernatural varieties by rattling off a bunch of benign, normal ones like bugs and needles. Jamie attempted to ruffle Brooke's patience with answers like 'intellectual bankruptcy,' and 'sea monkeys.' while Megan earnestly volunteered every phobia I'd ever heard of and several I never knew existed ('Doraphobia' is the fear of fur)." This is so entertaining! "THERE IS AN ALLIGATOR IN MAX'S POOL!" Well, it is Florida! But cool! "'What if someone pisses me off and I tell them to go jump off a bridge?' 'You'd never say that. 'Oh, really?' 'You'd tell them to go die in a fire.' 'Helpful. Thank you.'" Changing the details of what to tell the person to die of, is not a big hair to split, Noah! "Mara is trying to move a bottle of Tylenol with her mind." And saying it like that makes it not serious! "You could read obscure poetry while I play the triangle, I suppose. Or we can smother ourselves in peanut butter and howl at the moon. Use your imagination." You certainly are, Noah! "'So what are you wearing?' 'I don't know. A space suit. Who cares?' 'I think this should be as vivid as possible. For your. Eyes closed. I'm going to have to institute a punishment for each time I have to tell you.' 'What did you have in mind?' 'Don't tempt me. Now, what are you wearing?' 'A hoodie and drawstring pants too, I guess.' 'Anything underneath?' 'I don't typically walk around without underwear.' 'Typically?' 'Only on special occasions.' 'Christ. I meant under your hoodie.'" I don't think it's going as Noah pictured it! "So being the unillustrious record of the observations and musing of one Noah Elliot Simon Shaw insofar as they relate to one Mara (middle name as yet unknown, must remedy) Dyer and her purported metamorphosis. Mara has just left. We have just immolated her grandmother's doll, which seems to have been (distressingly) stuffed with human hair, as well as a pendant identical to the one I own. Both of us are justifiably disturbed by this development, though it has provided a new avenue of exploration as to why the f**k both of us are so deeply weird. Also, I a kissed her. She liked it. Naturally." I can just see Noah writing this, his word choice, so awesome! "I am definitely a pussy." Changing for a girl, that makes you a pussy? I don't think so! "'Discussed and agreed by...?' 'By everyone. Everyone in the whole world. There is no other topic of discussion other than Mara Dyer, didn't you get the memo?'" Ah, Daniel, you're awesome! "The pairings seemed like they were all roommate-roommate. Maybe to stave off a patient revolution?" Yeah, I think that's going to backfire! "Noah, what did you do to that poor whale?' 'She's fine. I only pushed someone into her tank.' 'You didn't.' 'A little bit, yes. He was encouraging his budding sociopath child to bang on the glass.' 'What were you even doing there?' 'Looking for a fight. I needed something that would make the news.' 'Oh my God, it did?' 'I was this close. Edged out by a corrupt politician.' 'You were robbed.'" This is just so funny! Poor Lolita! "But unless you're about to engage in some executive-secretary role-play-' 'Jamie.' 'Or, oh my God, psychologist-patient role-play? Please tell me that is not what you were about to do, or I will throw up in both of your faces. Simultaneously.'" Yeah, Jamie, that threat is pretty gross! "'Why do you have two middle names?' 'That's your question? After reading that?'" Well, it was in the journal that was supposed to be for her, so it's been a sitting question, and thus more important! "Amitra. Mystery solved." Yeah, such a pressing mystery, Mara's middle name! "'This is bulls**t. WE're teenagers. We're supposed to be sarcastic.' 'And preoccupied with sex.' 'And impulsive.' 'Exactly. But we're in her and they're out there? Everyone's a little crazy. The only difference between us and them is that they hid it better. It...kinda of makes me want to burn this place down Just me?' 'Not just you.'" I'm with them! Burn it to the ground! "They rattled my cage to see if I'd bite. When they released me, they'd see that the answer was yes." And they'll deserve it!

Favourite lines from The Retribution of Mara Dyer: "Why is it that whenever anyone says something offensive, they always add 'no offence' after it?" Because they don't want to be offensive? "He patted my head a few times until I threatened to eat him." That's a weird threat! "I thought you were going to give it the District Twelve salute." Nice Hunger Games reference, Jamie! "My gastric juices are dissolving my stomach lining. My stomach is eating itself." Pleasant image, Jamie! "Not it. Sharks, first of all, and second of all, sharks." They're that bad that they need 2 mentions? "'Mutations? We're mutants now?' 'Don't tell Marvel. They'll sue us.'" Well, seeing as the stories are different then real life, they don't have the rights to mutations in real life, just to the characters and stories and such! "Hey, Mom, I've been tortured and experimented upon, but don't worry because my tormentors are dead. Because P.S., I killed them." Yeah, that'll work well! "So we can't start a fire. We cant fly. We can't create a force field. We are the most bulls**t superheroes." You have powers, so that's something! "Barney Rubby. And this, is Better. And this is our daughter, Bamm-Bamm." That's a weird fake name for Mara! "'Names?' 'Jesus,' Jamie answered. 'Mary,' said Stella. 'Satan.'" Oh, Mara, nice name! "'You can be our Gandalf.' 'I'm only a year older than you. But I'll take that as a compliment, if you let me Dumbledor instead.' 'If you insist. But Dumbledore is more dead.' 'Point.' 'Your'e neither actually, You're a muggle-' 'Hey, now.' 'Which makes you Giles.' 'I'll take it.'" Such a great nerdy/geeky conversation! Love it! "I notice a sign just outside one of the windows with the words STORAGE WAREHOUSE: FIREPROOF painted on it, except someone had blacked out the letters so it read, RAGE WAREHOUSE: IREPROOF." That is too funny! "Like you're the ocean and he's desperate to drown." But Noah thought that he didn't want to die anymore. So weird analogy, but not apt anymore! "You don't get what you do for him. You're like his manic pixie dream girl or something. Actually, more like his psychotic demon nightmare thing, but whatever. You get my point." Yes, we do! "'You opened it without me?' 'I thought you might be having sex.' 'You would've heard it.'" Yeah, you would've, why the excuses, Daniel? "Wrong. I did want to. But considering I gave you a lethal injection not twenty-four hours ago, I thought you might not be in the mood." What gave you that crazy idea, Noah? "I love you. Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever. If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If I were to live a thousand live, I would want to make you mine in each one." Which is so romantic, Noah! Especially since you say it in French! "My brother is banging cabinets around, loudly, to announce his presence; a charm of protection against any stray public displays of affection, no doubt. Luckily for him, I was just as embarrassed by our loud colonization of the town house as he was-more, probably. Unluckily for both of us, Noah didn't acre. God knew what Daniel heard." Yeah, brother hearing sister having sex? Not fun for either of them! "We became fast friends. While you and Noah were...busy." So it's known, ah, well. "You? A walk? Since when do you need food, sunshine, fresh air? Oh. Noah isn't here. That explains it." Love this teasing! "'But wait. Why do I have a tail?' 'That is not a tail that's your arm.' 'Why is it coming out of my ass?' 'Behave.' 'Or what, you'll spank me?' 'That would be a reward, darling. Not a punishment.'" So this established that Noah isn't good at drawing!

I enjoyed reading these books so much, they were just so freaking great! I can't wait to read more books by Michelle Hodkin, I know they're going to be fantastic!

Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #2, 3
First Read: November 24th, 2012
Read: November 27th, 28th, 2014
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading Evolution!  And they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Books! And Retribution is a End of Series 2014 Book, WR Reward Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Published: October 23rd 2012,

The Evolution of Mara Dyer:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









The Retribution of Mara Dyer:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!