Saturday, November 29, 2014

Week 48 Review: Nearly Gone

From Goodreads:
Bones meets Fringe in a big, dark, scary, brilliantly-plotted urban thriller that will leave you guessing until the very end.

Nearly Boswell knows how to keep secrets. Living in a DC trailer park, she knows better than to share anything that would make her a target with her classmates. Like her mother's job as an exotic dancer, her obsession with the personal ads, and especially the emotions she can taste when she brushes against someone's skin. But when a serial killer goes on a killing spree and starts attacking students, leaving cryptic ads in the newspaper that only Nearly can decipher, she confides in the one person she shouldn't trust: the new guy at school—a reformed bad boy working undercover for the police, doing surveillance. . . on her.

Nearly might be the one person who can put all the clues together, and if she doesn't figure it all out soon—she'll be next. 

My Review:
Nearly Gone was a fantastic book! I enjoyed it so much, such great characters, great romance, and great mysteries, they were just so captivating, and I read this when I was meaning to read something else, but yeah, I don't regret it one bit, because it was so enjoyable!

I had a problem with the 3rd clue and the math/interpretation of the question: "We all fall down. The tower will point the way. It's 68 ft. higher than three times a side of its square base. If the sum of these two is 1,380, at day's end you'll know where to find me." I take the "two" as the hight, and the base. In which case, it'd be (3x + 68) + 4x = 1380, not x, because there's 4 sides to a base. And it'd make x=187.42, which is not as clean as Nearly's answer of 328, but making the height 630.28. Though I could have the wrong assumption of the "two" thing! Though when it came to the clue, turns out it wasn't about the math, ish, but a replica of the Eiffel Tower, and the "ring around the rosie" rhyme! But either way, I was wrong!

The Log roll ride? I feel bad for Nearly, because I had a bad experience on one-I was with my dad, and by the time it was done, I had a big bruise on my arm. Don't remember anything besides that, but yeah. Bad experience, so I can understand her feelings while on it!

I must say, that for a bit of the book, I thought that Jeremy was the bad guy. He was her best friend, he knew about her thing with the personal ads, he was upset when she left him at the park, and he has an abusive dad. But I was so glad that it wasn't him!

Really enjoyed how it ended, who the bad guy was, because like I said above, I thought it was Jeremy, but it wasn't, it was somebody that we shouldn't have suspected, and yet, at the same time, should've almost been the top of the list!

And we got a bit of a clue to go one for the next book, I think, the picture of the group of dads, and yeah, since that was part of the synopsis of the next book, that collection of dad's again, yeah, liked that little hint! Can't wait for Nearly Found!

Favourite lines: "It had been a birthday gift from Anh, who thought it was hilarious that Albert Einstein was the only guy who'd ever been in my bedroom, until I'd pointed out that this accounted for one more than had ever been in hers." Yeah, this is so cute! "My brain's a carb- and fat-oiled machine. It runs on these crazy little alkaloids called theobromine and phenethylamine. They're found in nature in something called Snickers bars. Maybe you've heard of them?" Love that, a nerdy answer about candy!

Enjoyed this book so much, it was very entertaining, and yeah, I can't wait for Nearly Found!

Author: Elle Cosimano
Series: Nearly Gone #1
Read: November 26th, 2014
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: It sounded really fantastic, and it's a DAC Book, LLFL Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Kathy Dawson Books
Published: March 25th 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!