Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week 2 Review: Bumped

From Goodreads:
When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society. Girls sport fake baby bumps and the school cafeteria stocks folic-acid-infused food.

Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and have never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Up to now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend, Zen, who is way too short for the job.
Harmony has spent her whole life in Goodside, a religious community, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to convince Melody that pregging for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.
When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls' lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.
My Review:
This is most definitely a book that is going on my Best of 2012, which I've already started, because of this book! I loved this book, it had such great characters, a great plot, and a great idea behind it, and Melody shows a side of her, gradually, that is perfect. I mean, what's the point of bumping for other people, then being unable to get pregnant anymore, and then when you're older, pay some teenager, like you were, to have a baby. Why not keep the baby that you had? That was yours? It would save on the paying someone else, though you wouldn't get paid for the baby. So that balances it out.

Yeah. Really enjoyed this book, I read it to about 4 in the morning that I was going back to school. And I got up at seven. Because I really wanted to read this book. It was THAT good. I loved it!

Loved the idea behind it, that pretty much only teenagers (and the church extremists) can have kids, because a virus, that around 18 or so, that they joined the rest of the adults unable of conceiving. And how that made teens the most important group in society, because with them, humanity would enter into a slow death. Yep.

OK, a kinda spoiler, it's a bit from a scene near the end of the book, to show how the society, how far gone it was, but it'll be whiten out.

I didn't like how far they took it though, the society, because when Melody is there for a friend, and the 11 year old she met, with the "fake" baby budge, and how she was getting a scholarship if she had a baby each year from 11!!! 11, seriously! To 18, or 19, whenever the virus hit her. That was going too far. And I'm glad that Melody came to the same conclusion. Yep.

This was a freaking awesome book, I loved it, and I can't wait for Thumped! Check it out now if you haven't!!! NOW!!!!

Author: Megan McCafferty
Series: Bumped #1
Read: January 8th-9th, 2012
Source: Library
Reason Why: Wanted to read it, and a FtBRC YA journey book. Yep. And it's a 2012 Dystopian Book!
Publisher: Balzer and Bray
Published: April 26th 2011
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!