Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week 2 Review: New Girl

From Goodreads:
They call me 'New Girl'... 

Ever since I arrived at exclusive, prestigious Manderly Academy, that's who I am. New girl. Unknown. But not unnoticed—because of her. 

Becca Normandy—that's the name on everyone's lips. The girl whose picture I see everywhere. The girl I can't compare to. I mean, her going missing is the only reason a spot opened up for me at the academy. And everyone stares at me like it's my fault. 

Except for Max Holloway—the boy whose name shouldn't be spoken. At least, not by me. Everyone thinks of him as Becca's boyfriend but she’s gone, and here I am, replacing her. I wish it were that easy. Sometimes, when I think of Max, I can imagine how Becca's life was so much better than mine could ever be. 

And maybe she's still out there, waiting to take it back.


My Review:
Wow. Another great book for Best of 2012! It was so amazing, and it had great characters, with unfairness, and craziness, and spookiness, and a lot of "ness's" and it was just fantastic! Full of obstacles, conflicting  emotions, and danger and intrigue! So great!

This wasn't a typical new girl type of story. Usually the new girl will be accepted right away, and come into the group. Ok, then I guess half of it was typical, at first, with Becca. But for "New Girl" since I didn't actually catch it, and others said that it wasn't mentioned, things were different. New Girl was taking Becca's place, and they didn't like that. And they made her feel like an outcast, especially her roommate, Dana, who believed she was best friends with Becca. And how Dana treated the new girl just because of Becca, well, that just made me really mad. But this was such a wonderful book because of that. Like what Dana did with for Halloween, with hiding new girl's package so she had to wear what she didn't know was Becca's costume the previous year.

There was a creep factor. In which New Girl has strange dreams about being in water, drowning, and a time where she sees Becca, and yeah, that was freaking creepy. Especially since at the beginning, I didn't like Becca, she was mean and manipulative, and didn't know how to express herself, she just had to keep trying to find something better, but as it went along, I started to understand. Still made me mad with how New Girl was treated. And the whole thing with Max, and how he was, well, that made me mad, and wish that they'd get more time together. And if you read the book, you'll find out if they do!

This was a great book, so I hope you guys check it out, I myself will be checking out Paige Harbison's other books, including Here Lies Bridget. Yep.

Author: Paige Harbison
Read: January 9th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded amazing! Also a book on my A-Z Book Challenge list. Also Sophomore Challenge!
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Expected Publication: January 31st 2012
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!