Saturday, November 8, 2014

Week 45 Review: Luminosity

From Goodreads:
My name is Beatrice. When I was born, I was blessed with the Sight. I was immediately removed from my parents and enrolled in the Institution. At the age of twelve, I had my first true vision, earning my raven's wings. And when I turned seventeen, one of my visions came true. Things haven’t been the same since. 

The Institution depends on me to keep the City safe from our enemy, the Dreamcatchers, but I'm finding it harder to do while keeping a secret from everyone, including my best friend Gabe. It is a secret that could put us all in danger. A secret that could kill me and everyone close to me. 

But the enemy has been coming to me in my dreams, and I think I'm falling in love with him. He says they're coming. He says they're angry. And I think I've already helped them win.

My Review:
I really enjoyed this book! It did take me just a little while to get around to reading it, but yeah, I finally found time to read it, and I really enjoyed it! Some things threw me a bit, but with that ending, I can't wait for book #2!

There were a few things about this society that bugged me. Like the fact that only the Keeper's daughter could survive being born to a Seer, and be a Seer, which is why all seers but the Keeper's daughter are sterilized as babies. I could see it if there was a few bloodlines that did that, but just 1? That sounds like a cover up to me!

Or how to them, being "strong" means shooting their enemies. There are different kinds of strength, and isn't it kinda stupid to have them being part of the physical battle? Of course, they should be taught to defend themselves, but the Citizen's should be more the ones who do the protecting!

There were a few scenes that I felt awkward in, like when the Dreamcatchers are attacking, and the Seers don't shoot them as they're repelling out of the ships, just hiding when the Dreamcatchers start shooting, it seems a bit odd!

Favourite lines: "But if you told her that tomorrow we'd all turn into fish, she'd fill the arena up with water in preparation." That is a really funny thought, though not the main thought behind it.

I really enjoyed this book, and yeah, I can't wait for the sequel!

Author: Stephanie Thomas
Series: Raven Chronicles #1
Read: September 12th, 2014
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a 2014 Dystopia Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Published: November 13th 2012
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!