Thursday, August 25, 2011

Will the Time Come #13, August 25th

The Time Will Come -
Every Thursday l am going to list a book which l really want to read/keep meaning to get to. These are mostly books which have been on my shelf for awhile now but don't have to be, maybe you got it two weeks ago and really want to read it! Thanks to Jodie from Books for Company for this meme!

Want to join in?

- Pick a book you have been meaning to read
- Do a post telling us about the book
- Link the post up in the linky
- Visit the other blogs!

From Goodreads:
Be aware: this is not your typical Cornwell novel. Not only is there no Kay Scarpetta, but Isle of Dogs is a comic romp, a real departure for this author. It centres around a couple of characters from past books--police chief Judy Hammer and reporter-turned-cop Andy Brazil of Hornet's Nest and Southern Cross--but the plot, style and tone will remind you more of Carl Hiaasen's dark comedies.

The madcap doings get underway when the addled, nearly blind governor of Virginia confusedly launches a speed-trap program on isolated Tangier Island, whose prickly, eccentric residents promptly attempt secession. Cornwell adeptly interweaves other crisscrossing plot lines involving a gang of street-stupid thugs gunning for Hammer and Brazil, an angel-faced serial killer, a kidnapped dog and more. She does miss a few beats: the pacing sags during certain episodes, and at times the writing strains so hard for laughs that instead it draws winces. Nonetheless, Isle of Dogs is for the most part a funny, diverting read and a refreshing departure for Cornwell.

Why the time hasn't come yet...
I dunno, I don't actually remember when I got this book, but oh, well. It'll get read.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this novel but I hope you get to it soon. I tend to remember most of the books on my shelf but there are a few there that appeared magically. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I don't think it was a very popular book :) And me, too. Those books are just magical, but then, all books are magic! You too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I tell myself that often - 'It'll get read (probably in a few years!)
    Books are rather patient though ;)
    Enough this when you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. I think I got this in a garage sale or something of the sort :) Just the sort of thing that'd happen to me :) I hope to read it, but there's just so many books to read, and so many coming out right now!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!