Saturday, February 2, 2013

Week 5 Review: Zero

From Goodreads:
For aspiring artist Amanda Walsh, who only half-jokingly goes by the nickname Zero, the summer before college was supposed to be fun—plain and simple. Hanging out with her best friend Jenn, going to clubs, painting, and counting down the days until her escape. But when must-have scholarship money doesn't materialize, and she has a falling out with Jenn that can only be described as majorly awkward, and Zero's parents relationship goes from tense to relentless fighting, her prospects start looking as bleak and surreal as a painting by her idol Salvador Dali. Will life truly imitate art? Will her new, unexpected relationship with a punk skater boy who seems too good to be real and support from the unlikeliest of sources show Zero that she's so much more than a name.

My Review:
I enjoyed this book quite a bit! It was interesting and weird, and while I did have some hard times actually reading it, to the point where I stopped reading it for stretches of time, well, I did finish it, and I did like it!

So Amanda, or Zero, has had it decent until now, where things really start to fall apart, she doesn't have a scholarship to get her to college, and her parents are fighting, and there's all this negative stuff going on. And then she meets a boy.

I really enjoyed the relationship between Zero and Mike, it was just what she needed to get back up, and start trying again, for something that she wanted, vs. something that other people wanted for her. Which was really great!

This is a story about finding yourself, and everything that implies. There were a lot of harder parts, and struggles, but those are the kind of things that shape you, start to set you on the road that you'll probably take for a good deal of your life!

Really enjoyable, and yeah, I liked it!

Author: Tom Leveen
Read: January 31st, 2013
Source: Library/NetGalley
Reason Why: It sounded good, it was a NetGalley book, it's a SAC 2013 Book, WTC Book and an A-Z Book Challenge Book!
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Published: April 1st 2012
5/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!