Saturday, March 9, 2013

Week 10 Review: Sweetly

From Goodreads:
As a child, Gretchen's twin sister was taken by a witch in the woods. Ever since, Gretchen and her brother, Ansel, have felt the long branches of the witch's forest threatening to make them disappear, too.

Years later, when their stepmother casts Gretchen and Ansel out, they find themselves in sleepy Live Oak, South Carolina. They're invited to stay with Sophia Kelly, a beautiful candy maker who molds sugary magic: coveted treats that create confidence, bravery, and passion.

Life seems idyllic and Gretchen and Ansel gradually forget their haunted past -- until Gretchen meets handsome local outcast Samuel. He tells her the witch isn't gone -- it's lurking in the forest, preying on girls every year after Live Oak's infamous chocolate festival, and looking to make Gretchen its next victim. Gretchen is determined to stop running and start fighting back. Yet the further she investigates the mystery of what the witch is and how it chooses its victims, the more she wonders who the real monster is.

Gretchen is certain of only one thing: a monster is coming, and it will never go away hungry.

My Review:
From what I remember of Sisters Red, I'm pretty sure that I enjoyed it a bit more then I did this book. This one was a bit harder to get into, it was weird, and just a bit disconnected, and connecting things in my head made the reading slower.

For a minute there, I thought that her sister's name was going to be Gretel, because it is a fairytale retelling series, after all. But nope, her lost sister's name was something that started with an A. Oh, well, Gretchen is pretty close to Gretel, and this book was a bit different then the original fairytale!

I loved that I'm pretty sure that Samuel is Silas's brother. I'm not totally sure, but I'm pretty sure! Because that's mainly how the series is connected, besides being retellings of fairy tales! And yeah, Samual was a pretty great character!

That ending, I enjoyed it. It was a bit hard, because we'd grown close to her, no matter how weird and strange she, and her house, were, but yeah, that was a pretty great ending in wrapping things up, and yeah, I can't wait to read more of the series!

There was a mention of what, from reading the synopsis of Fathomless, will be a beginning thread, and yeah, I can't wait to read that!

Author: Jackson Pearce
Series: Fairytale Retellings #2
Read: March 3rd, 2013
Source: Library
Reason Why: Loved book 1, and it's a Sequel Challenge 2013 Book!
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: August 23rd 2011
5/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!