Saturday, November 8, 2014

Week 45 Review: The Face of Deception

From Goodreads:
An unidentified skull... 

A trail of terrifying secrets... 

And a woman whose talented hands could reveal the shocking truth... 

As a forensic sculptor, Eve Duncan helps identify the dead from their skulls. Her own daughter murdered and her body never found, the job is Eve's way of coming to terms with her personal nightmare. But more terror lies ahead when she accepts work from billionaire John Logan. Beneath her gifted hands a face emerges from the skull he has given her to reconstruct-- a face no one was ever meant to see. Now Eve is trapped in a frightening web of murder and deceit. Powerful enemies are determined to cover up the truth, and they will make certain that truth goes to the grave...even if Eve gets buried with it. 

My Review:
I loved rereading this book! I had pretty much forgotten what had gone on, besides that there was a pretty major twist in who the skull that she was working on belonged to, and yeah, reading about that again was pretty great!

Knowing where her and Joe are going, it was funny and cute to see them now, before that, with him married to Diane, and him hiding the violence of his job from her, because he wanted to protect her from that, was in turns sweet, and head-bashing, that he understands her so well, but takes her protection a bit too far, especially when she finds out!

Ah, how all the main male characters have first and last names that are typically first names! Joe Quinn, John Logan. And I know there's more coming, and yeah, it's just an odd thing in this series! If Eve was a guy, I'd think, Adam Duncan, that's the same thing, but she's a girl, and she's Eve Duncan!

That the skull is Ben's, the current president in the book, was pretty explosive. And then add to the fact, that he was the one that injected himself, because he was dying, and his friend couldn't work up the nerve to do so, and so that Lisa could stay in power, with a puppet, yeah. It's just sad. But entertaining!

Favourite lines: "Sorry. I forgot. Open mouth, insert foot." Knowing where they're going, yeah. Love this bit of flirting! "It's not good for him to know I'm not perfect. It would make him feel insecure." Oh, him? Love! "'Don't you dare. I've no desire to end up in jail or some loony bin because you're bored and want to loose all your Neanderthal instincts.' 'I don't believe Neanderthals were ever bored. Their brains were too undeveloped, their life span too short, and they spent most of their time just keeping alive.' 'The comparison is close enough to be apt.'" Such cute banter, even if they eventually don't work as a couple! "I'm going to tell him to take good care of you or I'll toss him into a volcano. Does Tahiti have volcanoes?" That'd be a good thing to know before you make that threat to him!

Man, such great, wonderful book, a great start to the series, and yeah, I can't wait to reread it!

Author: Iris Johansen
Series: Eve Duncan #1
Read: November 3rd, 2014
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2014 Book!
Publisher: Bantam Books
Published: June 1st 1999
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!