Saturday, December 24, 2011

Week 51 Review: The French Executioner

From Goodreads:
In an age when human relics exercised great power over the minds of men, Jean Rombaud, Anne Boleyn's executioner, gains the most prized relic of all--Anne's six-fingered hand. With it comes a vow to the dead queen that he spends terrible effort trying to fulfill. A high-energy, highly theatrical tale, C.C. Humphrey's The French Executioner spans 16th-century Europe from England to Italy, Germany, and France. Jean, with the staunch heart of an old-fashioned superhero and a dangerous square-edged sword, receives loyal assistance from a cast of heroic characters: Haakon, an axe-wielding Norseman; the Fugger, a reformed midden-keeper; Januc, a Croatian mercenary; and, most importantly, Beck, a mysterious, dangerous Jew. Evil comes in the thoroughly treacherous form of the Archbishop of Siena, who has need of the famous hand for his nefarious experiments in alchemy. Scenes of Siena's Palio horse race are a highlight. This swashbuckling adventure tale has all the dubious coincidence typical of the genre as well as numerous fight scenes described in astonishing detail--what else would you expect from an author described as "a schoolboy fencing champion and fight choreographer"?

My Review:
This was an OK book, didn't enjoy it as much as the 2nd book, and yeah, that's all that I can think to say on it, since it's been over 2 years since I've read it, and yeah, I've read a lot of books since then. Yep.

Author: C. C. Humpherys
Series: French Executioner #1
Read: December 23rd, 2011
Source: Library
Reason Why: I own and have read book 2, Blood Ties, and it was really good!
Publisher: McArthur and Company
Published: October 4th 2001
3/5 Hearts
2/5 Books

0/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!